1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 and yeast

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Hendie, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hendie

Hendie · Active Member

Hi all, i was just wondering if someone who was type 2 and having quite alot of yeast infectioins could share some of their experiences.

After how long of controlling your blood sugar (diet only, metformin, or injections?) was it before your yeast infections started to go away. Did you also take anti fungals and pro bitoics or was lowering your blood sugar enough to clear them up ?

Thanks

2. mammacaz

mammacaz · Active Member

Hi,

Know the feeling, bringing your levels under control will stop the flare ups but in the mean time I would suggest one of the all in one treatments (pill and cream).

I also find that I can control my levels and the obvious itch by not eating bread or come to that anything with yeast in it, marmite etc.,

I know that this works for me, some more experienced T2's will probably have some more advice.

Hope this helps
    Caz x

3. mammacaz

mammacaz · Active Member

PS I am on Metformin/Victoza.

4. Hendie

Hendie · Active Member

thanks mammacaz for the reply how long have you been on metformin ? Did you find the medication helps your yeast or is mainly by your diet ?

I currently have alot of yeast problems so have been on a yeast/sugar free and low carb diet for about 3 years now but its only recently that i realised high blood sugar could be causing my yeast infections to not go away.

Im awaiting my hba1c and fasting glucose results any day soon, so in the meantime anyones experience with blood sugars and yeast are much welcome

Thanks

5. mammacaz

mammacaz · Active Member

Hi, I have been on Metformin since I was diagnosed, not a happy partnership as it causes gastric problems.

But as soon as I went back onto the Metformin after being off it for a while, the itch had kicked in so I took a combination pill and cream and now I am back on Metformin the problems have stopped.

Hope that helps a little...
    Caz :)

6. pheobe

pheobe · Member

Hi Hendie
    I used to suffer terribly with yeast infections but thankfully since keeping my blood sugar levels under control the infections have stopped, like Mammacaz I did use the duo combination of tablet and cream which did seem very effective.

7. raydavies

raydavies · Well-Known Member

It's a poular misconception that Marmite contains yeast; it does not.

It contains yeast extract. If you Google the manufacturing process, you'll see there's no possibility of any live yeast cells surviving to the bottling stage. So go on and enjoy it!

Ray

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook