Type 2 but love eating loads of chocolate

Neil73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi have been a type 2 diabetic for 12 yrs,I take 6 tablets a day I have the red dots in the back of my eyes and I am loosing the nerve endings in my feet,the thing is that I am a chocoholic I eat roughly 300gram bar of chocolate a day and I am addicted to it need help

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't offer any help other than the obvious advice to stop eating 300 grams of chocolate every day.

The question you need to answer is if you value your daily intake of chocolate higher than your eyesight, limbs and kidneys.

Have you got a meter and if so, do you test?

Reactions: 2 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Mmm difficult when you like something you know is bad for you, a couple of squares a day might be ok but 300grm that's a lot, what are your readings like?, guess they must be on the high side. I was a choccy holic as well & still crave it but have found peanut M & M's a blessing, the nuts are goodies and the choccy coating is minimal, and they don't push my BG up. Mind, if you ate 300grm they would

Reactions: 4 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
recognising that you have an addiction is the first step .. chocolate and carbs are both highly addictive.. I gave up smoking by going cold turkey .. it was hell for a few weeks ..then it was fine .. could you try eating something else .. suggestion try raw chestnut mushrooms in place of your chocolate time.. chocolate is not your friend

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also love chocolate but I rarely eat it nowadays, at least not normal chocolate. In NZ we can buy sugar free milk chocolate drops and If I am really craving chocolate I will eat a whole 200gr bag but at 10gr carbs per bag its not so bad and it is something I rarely do. Normally I will melt some of the chocolate in the microwave and stir in some peanuts before putting teaspoons of the mixture on baking paper, then if I feel like chocolate I can just grab a couple at a time.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How about you do some blood testing around eating it. Watch as your blood glucose levels go from what sounds like high before eating it to very high after eating it and staying high for a number of hours thereafter as well.

What do you prefer? Chocolate or being able to see and walk? You've already started down the path to blindness and amputation. You are starting to have your vision impaired and you are losing sensation in your feet (which often leads to amputations).

It's your choice (and even with a chocolate addiction it's a choice). Stop eating it or this all gets worse. Your best option is to go cold turkey. And think. If you feel yourself giving in, remind yourself that every time you go to put a piece in your mouth, it increases the damage to your eyes. Every piece causes your feet to hurt more and have less sensation.

Reactions: 12 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
As a former smoker and chocoholic I understand how difficult it is to change life long habits. I agree with the others, i found that going cold turkey was the best way to get rid of my sweet tooth. I gave up all things sweet, its surprising how quickly your taste changes.
It's possible to have a long and healthy life with diabetes but you have to work at it, if you keep eating rubbish no amount of drugs will prevent you from developing serious complications.
If you need some motivation have a look at this article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...images-reveal-diabetes-feet-just-10-DAYS.html

MrsHutt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I feel your pain! I have to go without - once I start, I can't stop! They do say the higher % cocoa, the less you need to feel 'treated'?? You can get those tiny bars of 70% and 80% - maybe give that a try?

Reactions: 9 people

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a tough situation but I guess you know yourself you need to quit. It depends on your personality as to whether weaning yourself off or 'cold turkey' will work better. In my case, it had to be cold turkey. It may mean ensuring the offending item is not even brought into your house and you should ask your family to support you.....not good for your resolve if your family are scoffing chocolate in front of you. Good luck. I can imagine this is seriously difficult for you but the impact if you continue is equally serious.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome
I will tag @daisy1 who provides a very good welcome pack. Although you have been diabetic a lot longer than me i do wonder if you read through Daisy's info if you will find doing some different things might help.

Neil73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Welcome
I will tag @daisy1 who provides a very good welcome pack. Although you have been diabetic a lot longer than me i do wonder if you read through Daisy's info if you will find doing some different things might help.
Thank you very much for your help

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Neil73, there's a really nice high cocoa content (80%dark chocolate) in Aldi that is low in carbs, the brand name is Moser Roth and each pack has 5 individual bars, each bar has 4g of carbs. Due to the high cocoa content it should satisfy your chocolate craving.

Reactions: 11 people
A

asparagusp

I adore chocolate. My intake is a cup of organic cocoa made with semi skimmed organic milk without sugar.for breakfast with a few oatcakes.

Chocolate contains sugar of course and in excess not good for you, like everything. However the cocoa content is good for diabetics as it's full of minerals and antioxidants.

You can get 99 percent chocolate bars.

Reactions: 7 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Welcome

@Neil73

Hello Neil and welcome to the forum :) As mentioned above, here is the information we give to new members and perhaps this might help you. Ask questions if you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi have been a type 2 diabetic for 12 yrs,I take 6 tablets a day I have the red dots in the back of my eyes and I am loosing the nerve endings in my feet,the thing is that I am a chocoholic I eat roughly 300gram bar of chocolate a day and I am addicted to it need help
The only thing that can be said is stop!!!! Do you really want to start injecting insulin?? I'll answer that for you.... No you dont!!!! You can still eat chocolate as a diabetic, but in moderation, and in your case, severe moderation, if you dont you will lose your eyesight and eventually toes and/or feet!!! please stop eating all that chocolate, you may find an improvement in your eyes and feet

Neil73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can't offer any help other than the obvious advice to stop eating 300 grams of chocolate every day.

The question you need to answer is if you value your daily intake of chocolate higher than your eyesight, limbs and kidneys.

Have you got a meter and if so, do you test?
The lowest reading o get is 14,1

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am lucky in that I can eat a small amount at a time so a 100g bar can last a week. It is a bit more expensive but Lindt do a 90% cocoa solids bar with about 7% sugar. I try to pick it up when it's on offer, the last time I saw it was in the Lindt shop in Clark's Village Street, 2 bars for £3.

Reactions: 5 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Neil73 I used to eat a fair amount of chocolate and drank a few pints of beer every week too, which must have contributed to my T2 diagnosis, 3 months ago.
Since then I haven't drunk any beer (yet anyway) and only had a couple of squares of 90% cocoa chocolate now and then.
I do miss chocolate but don't want my diabetes to get worse. It's just not worth it. I eat other snacks now, nuts, cheese and olives.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a really high for a lowest reading. Even if I go off track for a whole day and eat 300gr of chocolate my highest reading isnt even that. You really do need to figure out a solution that is right for you. Either stopping completely or finding an alternative chocolate that is better for you otherwise it wont improve for you at all.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
wow 14,1 ... you have a little work to do to get that down.. I was higher than that at the start of my diabetes .. now I am in the normal range .. First you know you must stop the sugar and this includes chocolate .. then cut your carbs ... so cut out bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, cereal and another foods that are high in carbs.. then increase your fats like coconut oil and olive oil .. I do 20g of carbs a day .. you will test before eating and 2 hrs after eating to see what you can eat to reduce your sugar numbers... don't loose sight of your feet just because you could not change your way of eating.

Reactions: 8 people