Type 2 - Can't get strips

Sapper71

Been diagnosed for 4 months now. Sugars were 24+ on metformin now. Last few weeks I've felt rubbish, I'm eating right and playing ball. I went to docs yesterday because I felt really bad. Did my glucose, they were 1.3. I've checked them myself upto a few weeks back because I refuse to pay for them, my readings were between 7 and 13.7.
I asked if I could have strips, they said no. They took my blood samples to send off??? When I asked why I couldn't have them, they openly admitted it was down to money. Please someone advise as this was the same with my mother when she was the same age as I am now, 42, she died a week later from inflammation of the pancreas.
Worried is an understatement !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Type 2 - Can't get strips

Unfortunately it is a postcode lottery for a Type 2 to get prescribed strips. Yes, they are expensive but in my book an essential tool to manage what you eat and how it affects you.

There are cheaper meters and strips such as the Codefree which is available via Amazon which makes testing more cost effective.

Does your GP know about your mothers situation? This could swing the balance in your favour as could being prescribed meds such as gliclazide.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !

sapper71

Slow down lad, I can certainly appreciate your concerns, but a level of 1.3 would have most of us pushing up the daisies.

You may not have to pay for testing meter and consumables if you make a good case to your gp/nurse. If not, bite the bullet, you can easily get a free meter from many suppliers, but, of course the strips and lancets can be purchased cheaply on eBay from people dispensed, but choosing to sell to make money.

Like others have said it can be a postcode lottery.

Regular testing after trying different types of food is crucial to our OWN management of this situation.

Has Daisy given you the diet guidlines yet ? Do you follow a low carb i.e NO potatoes,pasta,bread etc diet ? not necessarily for ever but it is a good place to start.

Keep us posted please....

Roy

Sapper71

Thank you both. My doc doesn't even look me in the eye. She knows about my mother yes. I was aware of cheaper options, thank you . As for potatoes etc. they told me to eat brown bread, brown rice and pasta etc. I haven't really had any advice or support from my surgery. I live near chesterfield. I work, I'm there now and feel rough again. Sweating, can't speak properly, can't think straight and feel really sick. My tests won't be back till Thursday. No one at work gets it and I work for a world leading aerospace company, I get no support here either, all I did was change my diet, eat as mentioned above, lots of veg, nothing sugary. Drinks are sugar free. That's as much as I know what to do. Thank you both for the advice. I need to look into food things myself I think. Cheers,
I will check amazon out too chap.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.

The first meter that landed was a Glucomen LX Plus and it was really easy to use. The lancing is bearable ( I am needle phobic) and I am very happy with it. I don't think I will get any prescriptions for strips as I am Type 2. I am seeing my Diabetic nurse for the first time this afternoon.
Your statement has confirmed it in my mind that I won't get a monitor offered or a prescription as I was under the impression that if you are Type 2 and you are on medication you will be entitles to a script,as are Type 1s. Diet and exercise for me I think which won't be all bad as I am testing before and after every meal and getting a few surprises.
For instance on rising my level was 7. After a 2 scrambled egg brekkie with a slice of ham and a slice of Burgen bread my level went up to 7.6.
Next day I had exactly the same but added some sugar free baked beans (yeuk !!) and my level rocketed to 10.6.

I am finding testing essential in these early days and went onto E Bay abd did a search and bought 100 lancets for £7.99 and 50 test strips for £17.99. I have looked since and found that folk are obviously selling their scripts at a starting price of 99p for 50 strips. So I am watching those now too,

You can get cheaper strips and lancets from E Bay. Just check the expiry date. (Everyone seems to put on the expiry date anyway.)

I am very surprised to hear you aren't getting a script.

Is there anyone you can approach about this?

K

Kat100

Many t2 are not testing due to how care is given...
Gp's are not obliged to give them....
But as a new type 2 I have had 3 hbaic tests medication and. Dietitian support....I am still learning all about this health problem though so much to take in and learn

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.

Hi Sapper71 and welcome to the forum :)
Here is the information which Roy mentioned, which we give to new members on the forum and I think you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Sapper71

Thank you all for your advice, its been very helpful, I'll take it all onboard and spend more time on this site to stay informed. Again thank you all.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy

Sapper you must get testing to get control - how can you really know what food is having an effect if you do not test.

Seriously it will be the best investment you ever make.

Give me your address and the type you use and I will send you some to get you started.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Witchblade

Dear Snapped

I am sorry that you have not gottengood advise from your surgery. Ihahead the total opposite, timesheet, explanations of reading labels, etc. I havealso gone over this forum site and they have really good sound nutritional advise.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy

You are very welcome

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol