1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 : CHRISTMAS TREATS

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by ickihun, Nov 15, 2017.

1. hca

hca Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Me too, and the pork scratching one, how cool are these

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Jo_the_boat

Jo_the_boat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My Christmas treat...........tickle off and live on a desert island in mid-June when the first fluffy-beast adverts appear on TV for things I neither want nor can afford and certainly don't need. Bah humbug......
    So hear it iiis merry christmas.......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ajax

Ajax Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I keep to my food plan ..as I otherwise set myself a ✻bad✻ precedent.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Oh Santa....I want one! Ha ha

5. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Santa can I be greedy and have this one too for the boys! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

The pork scratchings advent calendar I saw in a local deli. You can get them online too. If I had one of these, and a cheese one, I would gladly take them off to a remote island for the months of December, and January, to do a sort of fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

My proposed menu - much the same as alll my low carb Christmas dinners so far:
    • smoked salmon with cream cheese and chives
    • roast turkey or duck breast with homemade cranberry sauce, roast celeriac, sprouts cooked in butter and nutmeg with a little pancetta, and maybe a few chestnuts instead of celeriac
    • "cheat" black forest gateaux - boozy black cherries with chocolate muffin & cream
    It's all food I really enjoy, and I've not actually missed the additional tradtional high carb foods - last time I tried a mince pie it actually tasted vile... :eek:

Robbity
    PS The firsr time I tried making a low carb stuffing, it worked perfectly, but I wasn't able to reproduce it so gave up... But I may have another go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

9. srobertson06

srobertson06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Christmas - I am planning on a roast dinner with a small roast potato, a small yorkshire pud, lots of veg and a small amount of gravy - it is Christmas and as a meal I do not think it is that bad - it will be sticking to the one yorkshire that will be hard.
    I used to love mince pies so I have printed out the low carb option and will be trying the pastry made with almond flour and the mincemeat made with rhubarb - I do hope they are delicious.............

I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and enjoy the day as much as possible - just not going to work for me is a bonus.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. HelenHak

HelenHak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not this brand, but on Amazon they cost nearly £20!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. wolfie53

wolfie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes I saw that...so I'm going to get 25x 70pence packets from local shop!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Nuts have been out of my diet for a while but I'm sure I can find some crazy ones for xmas.

13. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I know someone very very well who should cater for us low carbers, cheese wise. He normally only caters hotels and restaurants.
    I must get him on side. A little side line?

14. wolfie53

wolfie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup, so I left it on the shelf at the deli, along with the gin advent calendar, that my daughter would have liked, that cost £125.
    Bah humug!

Whatever happened to the advent calendars like those I got as a kid, which just had a little picture behind each window? The anticipation of Christmas day being enough reward?

Bah humbugging my way from this thread, as I am aware it is for the purpose of treats, not my miserly good old days nostalgia.:bag:;)

Though I will maybe get some pork rind to make my own porky scatchings, though I doubt I would be able to limit to one or two small pieces a day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  16. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

3 cases of marstons resolution already ordered (well I needed to get enough for free delivery).

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I found the posh pricey porky advent calenday on Amazon too, but I also found this Lindt one, which had a greater appeal for me at nearly half the price...

Robbity

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

This thread may come in useful for xmas food info @welshgirl2228

I'll stop giving you more info but make a new thread anytime for any concerns, we're a great bunch. In your time, it has to be.
    Hubby may make his own enquires with friends. Some men prefer just over hearing what they want to know.
    Low carbing is great fun. Breakfasts fit for a king. (Salmon and asparagus on protein toast) ha ha

#39 ickihun, Nov 18, 2017 at 1:34 AM
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  20. midnightrider

midnightrider Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed just before last year, which did limit my food enjoyment somewhat. However, several months being disciplined eating 100-120g carbs a day with plenty of exercise have seen 6 stones disappear together with good BG control (Hba1c 32, FBG average 4.3) without medication. I now eat 170-180g carbs a day so have plenty of scope for food fun over the period without busting my diet.
    My biggest miss last year was panettone, served with a generous glass of marsala, so this year I will be treating myself a bit. I bake it myself so will reduce sugars a bit (I do still like sweet food but my definition of sweet has changed with my taste buds and I am now very sensitive to any sugar).
    Even so, a reasonable piece will have about 50g of carbs, so I will have this just before a bracing walk of an hour or so. Extra carby food will be balanced with all the meat and cheese snacks to keep overall food levels similar.

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook