Type 2 diabetes and bone fracture healing time

dillydog

I am a type 2 diabetic, on Metformin. 8 weeks ago I managed to fracture my finger, and have had to wear a splint for that amount of time. I was told I should wear it for 6 - 8 weeks at the fracture clinic, but now, having removed it, I find it still misshapen, swollen and painful if I touch it.

I only have to attend the fracture clinic again on 19th Jan. if I have problems, otherwise I should cancel the appointment.

Can anyone tell me whether it takes longer for fractures to heal if you are type 2 diabetic, or if this is what I should expect and is the norm.

Thanks very much.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If it appears mis-shapen then perhaps you need another X-ray to determine whether it has,in fact ,healed up in the correct position.Having been in a splint for a while it will take quite a lot of gentle exercise to get the joint working again.Once the joint is being used then the swelling should also go down.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Get it checked!
the tighter your BG control is to non-diabetic levels, during the healing, the quicker it will be. That means keeping around 5 at ALL times.
Ask for plenty of test strips and "eat to your meter". They should let you have strips under these circumstances.
The consequences of imperfect healing are horrible.( SORRY!!!!)

Trinkwasser

It takes most things longer to heal if your BG is too high.

Having said which I have a few horror stories about unhealed fractures/dislocations in nondiabetics too, any problems *definitely* go back and see them ASAP.

999sugarbabe

I, stumbled on this thread whilst looking for something else but thought I'd put in my threepenneth worth.
I had a road accident in 1999 and ended up with srews and plates in my tibia and fibular.
A couple of years ago I noticed my leg changing shape and becoming more painful than usual. Eventually I went to see my doctor and was referred to the orthopaedic clinic where I was in turn sent for a scan.
Apparently the titanium plate and screws supporting the fracture in my fibular had broken into 3 pieces... hence the change of shape and pain. It also came to light that the actual fracture was still totally unhealed and pretty much exactly as when I was originally knocked down.

I was supposed to undergo further surgery to repair the broken metalwork and have a special bone graft, however in the meantime I discovered I was Type 2 diabetic. This, together with the hospital having a poor reputation of acquired infections following surgery, has put me off any further procedures.

Since then I have done quite a bit of research, and it certainly appears that being diabetic may have contributed to my non-union fracture, as well as adding to the risk of poor healing and chances of infection being increased if I were to have further surgery.

Recently I have also noticed increased pain in the sites of other (old) fractures too. It makes me think...

Anyway, I've had my say on the matter. Best of luck.