Type 2 Diabetic with other health issues and very worried?

caring-for-mum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this with a possible explanation?

My mum is 77 years old and she is a Type 2 Diabetic. Her diabetes is controlled via Metformin 500mg (one daily).

My mum had a vacuum hysterectomy 40 years ago to remove her womb but her ovaries were left.

During the week my mum took an unexpected and unexplained bleed that had a small clot in it. Both her and I were very worried so I took her to A+E.
There they carried out routine blood tests which all came back good and they also gave her a physical examination which was good too.

Their answer was that "it was old blood that just came away"..................(is that even possible 40 years on). She was then sent home!!

We have been left very worried as we don't know why this happened. We don't know if it could be anything sinister? Would the routine blood tests pick up anything serious? We just don't know.

Would anyone have any suggestions or advise at all please?

Dark Horse

The emergency doctors have found nothing wrong. My advice is for your mother to see her GP if she is still worried.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this with a possible explanation?

My mum is 77 years old and she is a Type 2 Diabetic. Her diabetes is controlled via Metformin 500mg (one daily).

My mum had a vacuum hysterectomy 40 years ago to remove her womb but her ovaries were left.

During the week my mum took an unexpected and unexplained bleed that had a small clot in it. Both her and I were very worried so I took her to A+E.
There they carried out routine blood tests which all came back good and they also gave her a physical examination which was good too.

Their answer was that "it was old blood that just came away"..................(is that even possible 40 years on). She was then sent home!!

We have been left very worried as we don't know why this happened. We don't know if it could be anything sinister? Would the routine blood tests pick up anything serious? We just don't know.

Would anyone have any suggestions or advise at all please?

Bleeds (I'm assuming from her "under-carriage"), post hysterectomy, do need to be investigated. Nobody here can make any judgement on how appropriate your mother's investigations were as we have no idea what bloods were done. Routinely, they would usually include a test which identifies if any nasty markers are elevated, relating to the ongoing state of her ovaries. I don't mean whether they remain functional, as that's highly unlikely at her age, but any indication of worrying changes.

In your shoes, if you remain concerned, and you clearly are, they I would encourage your Mother to see her GP to discuss this in more detail. Sometimes so much comes down to the communication and how much detail is shared with the individual, and their loved ones, as opposed to the standard of care received.

These days, information between hospitals and GPs is usually shared pretty promptly, so your Mother's GP is likely the best place for now. If he/she decides your Mother needs further investigations, he can instigate them then.

I do hope your Mother remains well and this has been a one-off, unexpected bump in the road, of the sort we sometimes just have to shrug our shoulders and move forward, but I do understand some reassurance might be necessary before you can reach that place.