Type 2 Medication

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 and Current medication is Glucophage (SR version of Metformin) 500mg x2 plus Gliclazide 80mg x1 both in morning and evening with meals.

Diagnosed in November 2010 with HbA1c of 53 and prescribed Metformin. In May 2013 HbA1c had increased to 62 when Gliclazide added.

At this point I saw the light and joined this forum. I changed my diet by lowering carbs etc and succeeded in reducing my weight, waist size and increasing my exercise. But the biggest bonus was that I reduced my HbA1c to 45 at last weeks test. My db nurse was delighted.

My problem is that on a couple of occasions since I have had all the symptoms of a hypo. Unfortunately I didn't have my meter with me to check BG levels). I believe Metformin cannot cause this so I assume it is the Gliclazide which is now probably making my pancreas produce too much insulin for my lower levels.

Just tried to contact nurse but on holiday for two weeks.

My question (at long last I hear you say) is should I drop the Gliclazide for a couple of weeks to see if the symptoms subside. I have a BG monitor so can keep testing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, the Glic will be the cause but it does show that your pancreas is able to produce insulin quite well. I suspect your DN would recommend reducing or stopping the Glic but it's not for me to suggest changes to your meds; I leave it to you to decide the best action