Type 2 on Insulin...

Frustrated24

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, i am 40 and have been a type 2 diabetic on insulin since the birth of my son in 2002 (Diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes!). I am currently going through a burnout, ... I hate having to give myself insulin, finger prick and roll from one thrush infection to another! I decline my hospital appointments, simply because my son was born with medical problems and i have always made sure he is the priority not me, then because of his hospital appointments do not feel i can ask for more time off work to look at my own health.

in the last few weeks, I only really use my insulin when i wake up with a severe headache (which is a great indicator to me that the sugars are high.)

I also know i need to lose more weight, although i have lost just over 2 stone recently, my insulin requirements decreased significantly. I know that weight loss is a problem as i also have PCOS and Metabolic syndrome.

I suffer with depression and none of the GP's or Psych teams can even find me a Anti deppresant that makes me feel human without the horrid side effects.

I have a reasonable relationship with my GP but am really annoyed that I have never managed for me to be in control of diabetes, rather it be in control of me, and that all she ever seems to do is just critisise me for not managing to lose weight!! - it really puts me off even seeing anyone. I am not sweet toothed, but when i want to enjoy something I will have it!

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH. I HATE this and am now sick of feeling like this. I have arranged to see another GP from the practice this afternoon, But i still do not know whether i will do anything about the advice they give me!.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Sorry to hear about your problems.
What are your readings like fasting, pp and a1c
Are you on any other medication
what is your bmi.

Frustrated24

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Sorry to hear about your problems.
What are your readings like fasting, pp and a1c
Are you on any other medication
what is your bmi.
Hi,
BMI is 31.2, No other meds, supposed to be using Novorapid & Levermir, HBa1c when last checked was rediculously high.
Feel like i am going around in circles, know i need to lose weight, know i need to do regular health care, injections, bm's etc but cannot muster the energy or enthusiasm for any of it. Have days where i just want to cry!

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, you've found the right place for help, advice and support from fellow members.

@daisy1 will be along soon with the excellent advice for new members, so have a good read through.

I appreciate how important your son is, but you are important too and you both need you to be well.

I'm still quite new but trying to cut my carbs and follow the low carb ethos. Got an app on my phone where I log what I eat and it works out calories and nutrition breakdown. Does involve weighing some things but it opened my eyes to what a portion is meant to be. On the plus side though losing weight and seeing my levels reduce so I would recommend giving this a try.

I know it's a pain but keeping a check on your level helps you work out which foods are fine to have freely, which to watch the amounts of and which to avoid.

If your food choices are good most of the time an occasional treat is not going to hurt, but there can be better alternatives if you want to try them.

The low carb and food sections have loads of good stuff on there. I've discovered dark chocolate, and even a carrot cake recipe I tried.

Think there are some posts on diabetes burnout so might be worth reading these too to see if this helps.

Sorry for the long post, just want you to know that you can make a difference and that you aren't alone in this. Don't forget to make some time for yourself too

princess69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm exactly the same . I also stop my insulin jabs as they give me stomach pains. I have had pancreatitis 4 times. I too get the bad heads and thrush , I take at least 4 oral tabs a month. I have an autistic son and a son with a degenerative disease so tend to look out for them first. My skin is breaking down and I have been refused surgery for my poor knees. I have lost 4 and a half stone and after constantly being nagged about my weight, find that not injecting has the weight falling off. My fasting sugars are 13 but my daily sugars run between 19 and 27. I know I need help but my GPS useless .

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi sorry to hear you are going through such a rough patch at the moment. Hopefully your new Dr will have a bit more of a positive attitude as I know how deflating it can be when they make certain remarks. Have a look through the LCHF forum as it is a great way to eat. All the best, please keep us informed.