Type 2 on insulin

kenbocbr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
License medically restricted now due to Insulin so no longer able to drive Class C1 C1+e etc
I have recently been put on insulin about 4 weeks ago also on 2 metformin morning and 1 metformin at night with a statin, but my blood glucose readings have been getting very low 4s etc the other day it was 3.7 mmol. I have had my insulin reduced twice now by 2 units in morning and evening anyone know why it's reducing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi Kenbocbr - considering you are new to insulin, it does take a while to get your basal level right. You should be continuing to adjust your dosage until you get good levels especially in the morning. Your endo tends to ask what your morning reading is first and then what the rest of the figures are. If you are going into the 3's it is because your basal dosage plus the metformin is working too well for you. It may be the case that your doc should reduce your metformin dosage too as that would contribute the low sugar readings. I do not take any oral medication and I'm on basal insulin (that keeps your sugar when you're not eating within normal range) and I take bolus insulin (quick acting) with my meals. Keep at it and you should notice an improvement. You need to continue to drop the dosage by 2 units every 3 days if you are still getting low numbers... do so until you get within normal range. If you can't get it right, it may be worthwhile discussing your treatment again with your doc.... but they usually give you time to start with to adjust things. Keep a record of what is happening and what dosage of basal you were on. By the way I should ask, is it just a basal insulin you're on? or is it a basal & bolus mix insulin? If the latter is the case then that could be the problem for you too. I wish you the best. Let us know how you go.

Reactions: 4 people

kenbocbr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
License medically restricted now due to Insulin so no longer able to drive Class C1 C1+e etc
Hi Mep
Thanks for that, it's starting to make sense to me now. I think i'm on basal & bolus mix insulin its Novamix. it seems Im doing everything right so far but its nice to have someone with a bit more experience back it up. Very helpful Thanks again

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mep
Thanks for that, it's starting to make sense to me now. I think i'm on basal & bolus mix insulin its Novamix. it seems Im doing everything right so far but its nice to have someone with a bit more experience back it up. Very helpful Thanks again
ah yes Novamix is a basal/bolus mix which probably means you may need to get your metformin dosage reduced I'd say. Also bear in mind the insulin itself may be wrong for you. Each insulin has a different profile and your endo should be working with you to find the right one. For example with me I was put on protaphane basal insulin and it really didn't work for me, so my endo switch me to lantus. I use apidra for bolus. That may also be another thing to consider, you may not suit the mix and you may need to inject basal and bolus separately to get it right. I believe not everyone does well on Novamix from what I've read. So yeh try adjusting for a couple more weeks and if still not working.... really get your doc to reconsider the treatment for you. It just may be the insulin profile is wrong for you.

Reactions: 2 people

kenbocbr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
They tried me on lamtis in hospital and it didn't work took 7 days in hospital to get me settled. But I will mention to my doc about changing thanks again much appreciated

Reactions: 2 people