Type 2 on Pills but Concerned about moving to injectable?

mikegreen40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been newly diagnosed. So, I have a question about for some who have had high blood sugar ratings and have moved over to an injectable insulin or drug. I am very concerned about this. I am on 3 (Tredjenta, Metformin, Amaryl) to get the blood sugars down. and I have been working on this. At the same time, I am concerned about this, as some newbies are, about moving over to injectable? Has anyone had to move over and how were the results?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have been newly diagnosed. So, I have a question about for some who have had high blood sugar ratings and have moved over to an injectable insulin or drug. I am very concerned about this. I am on 3 (Tredjenta, Metformin, Amaryl) to get the blood sugars down. and I have been working on this. At the same time, I am concerned about this, as some newbies are, about moving over to injectable? Has anyone had to move over and how were the results?
Here is some info about insulin and other diabetes drugs that may interest you:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15478720.php
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18538604.php
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/25311847.php
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)

I was put on insulin in Feb after my levelsister continued to rise despite full doses of oral meds! I felt dreadful and lethargic.

Since being on insulin I have managed to get my levels down to around 7-8 post meal and around 7ish fasting and I feel so much better for it!! Plus it gives me a little bit more freedom to eat a little of what I fancy every now and again :)

For me it was the best thing for me! I hopersonally that helps

Reactions: 4 people

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi :)

I was put on insulin in Feb after my levelsister continued to rise despite full doses of oral meds! I felt dreadful and lethargic.

Since being on insulin I have managed to get my levels down to around 7-8 post meal and around 7ish fasting and I feel so much better for it!! Plus it gives me a little bit more freedom to eat a little of what I fancy every now and again :)

For me it was the best thing for me! I hopersonally that helps
Hi I'm Maddy.
My blood sugars have been in the teens for several months and the diabetic clinic have given me a pill called Canagllflozin 300mg to make me pass more urine taking excess sugar out of me lol.
It's a real pain. I've told them I don't want to have insulin as I really hated it a few years ago when I was using it.
I'm very worried my organs may be damaged with such high sugars.
And I'm tired all the time.
I'm useless with my diet as I have Ulcerated Colitis on my colon aswell.
So I can't take wholemeal, salad and veg to often. Best wishes Maddy x

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi I'm Maddy.
My blood sugars have been in the teens for several months and the diabetic clinic have given me a pill called Canagllflozin 300mg to make me pass more urine taking excess sugar out of me lol.
It's a real pain. I've told them I don't want to have insulin as I really hated it a few years ago when I was using it.
Have you considered low carbing? The best way to get your blood sugar down is to not eat much carb(sugar) in the first place. What was it you didn't like about insulin? Were you adjusting the dose with each meal or taking a fixed dose?

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
I've tried reducing carbs but I'm finding it hard. I need carbs to settle my tummy.too much salad and veg can make me unwell.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
My doctor gave me Orlistat 2weeks ago to help me loose weight. So I can't eat much fat. Lol.
I need to loose 4stone to help my arthritis as I can't walk without sticks or a trolley and use a wheelchair most of the time when out. Regards Maddy.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've tried reducing carbs but I'm finding it hard. I need carbs to settle my tummy.too much salad and veg can make me unwell.
What was it you didn't like about insulin?

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
I don't want to be dependent on insulin. Having to inject and I don't want to put on more weight. Maddy

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
My next meet with diabetic nurse and next blood test will mean I may have no choice!!
I just can't get my blood below 10. Maddy.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
It was about 2010 when i had insulin and it was a low dose with each meal.
After a big surgery my bloods were good on a sliding scale and I was discharged on flick azide and pioglitazone.
Metformin affected the mezalazine I needed for my bowel. It's complicated really.
Sorry. Maddy

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't want to be dependent on insulin. Having to inject and I don't want to put on more weight. Maddy
These concerns are addressed in this article, which explains how to use insulin while avoiding weight gain:

The reality is that if you are unable to get your BGs down by low carbing, then the non-insulin drugs other than metformin have serious side effects and risks, making insulin the best choice to avoid complications like eye, kidney and nerve damage. Your other medical conditions make it difficult to low carb.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
These concerns are addressed in this article, which explains how to use insulin while avoiding weight gain:

The reality is that if you are unable to get your BGs down by low carbing, then the non-insulin drugs other than metformin have serious side effects and risks, making insulin the best choice to avoid complications like eye, kidney and nerve damage. Your other medical conditions make it difficult to low carb.[/QUOTE

Thank you for advise.
I didn't know my meds had serious side effects and risks.
Sounds like I have no choice. !
Maddy

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm sorry you're in this situation :( @Happy hippy

On the up side, if you try insulin and it reduces your BGs, you may well feel a lot better and have more energy. I wouldn't be surprised if you are able to lose weight too, provided you are on a basal/bolus regime rather than fixed doses or mixed insulin. Don't expect your doctor/nurse to immediately understand what I've been talking about though. They are often keen on the non insulin/metformin drugs and downplay the potential risks.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
in my view insulin is better than oral meds simply because it is placing insulin in your body and not stressing your pancreas to produce more insulin to combat the high sugar levels. Oral meds basically stress out your pancreas in the long run and you wind up with beta cell damage. I was on oral meds for 5 years and after 7 years of diet, then 5 years of oral meds I had to be placed on insulin as my pancreas no longer produces much of its own insulin. So in hindsight I think I would've benefited from being on insulin much sooner than I was placed on it. It took me insisting several times that things aren't working. No wonder. So there's no harm going on insulin if you need to.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
*Gliclazide*
Hi. I think you are in a vicious circle currently and it may take a while to break the loop. Your ultimate aim must be to reduce the carbs and have more protein and fat. It may be that you can't have fats with Orlistat but that sounds like a vicious circle. If you can get to a point with your current meds where you weight comes dowen to 'normal' then low-carbing with enough fats and proteins would be the way to go. I can't comment on Orlistat and fats, but be aware that many NHS dieticians still aren't aware that it's the carbs that cause weight gain and not fats. Note also that insulin doesn't cause weight gain but having it with too many carbs that is the problem (same with Gliclazide). My wife has ulcerative colitis and takes Mesalazine and is a bit sensitive to carbs with bloating. Since she went on a very low-carb diet and has as much fat and protein as she wants she has lost a 1/3rd of her body weight down to normal and is in the best health for years. In answer to the original poster, going onto insulin from tablets as a Late onset T1 was the best thing that happened to me. It gives me complete control and is not ahassle really. As I keep the carbs down I've had no weight gain to speak of with a BMI of 21.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I've not looked back since moving from oral meds to insulin. No more awful side effects, feel better and lost a lot of weight too. The only downside is more monitoring and the injection itself which is second nature now. The anxiety is the worst but fades quickly.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Hi I'm Maddy.
Hi I too have ulcerated colitis,so know how difficult food choices can be, but for me insulin has been my saving grace.....

Positive-ish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very interested reading these posts, thank you. I started on insulin today after 8 years of tablets. I've been told to tirate up slowly and am on 10 basal and between 2-4 fast acting 3 times a day. Currently fine but a bit worried about the evening, I sleep alone and want to wake up in the morning!

Once I've got used to this I am going to carb count as I want to be careful with weight gain..... Is this correct?

All your posts have really helped me put my mind at rest