Type 2 - tried empaglaglozin but now prescribed victoza injections

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone tell me the positives to taking victoza as a type 2 diabetic? Been on empagliflozin but having side effects so the gp has suggested I move on to victoza injections. I know they can help with weight loss which is good as that’s what I’m trying to do at the moment. Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Amy

Ladylaurax

Hi, I am moving to Victoza on Thursday so I would also be interested to hear others thoughts on Victoza
Good luck with your Victoza journey

shardy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am also moving to victoza in a week. Would be really interested to see what others think

Muppet1

I have been on Victoza since early January and had no side effects until my dose was increased from 0.6mg to 1.2mg. I felt sick and had very bad indigestion as well as burping a yeasty smell. I stopped taking Victoza for 3 days and started again on 0.6mg, I am still getting mild indigestion but have increased to 1.2mg again today as the Victoza is working well for me in lowering blood sugar, my appetite and I have lost weight. My Dr has prescribed me indigestion tablets which should help hopefully. You need to remember that Victoza slows down the emptying of the stomach and hopefully reduces your appetite. If you don't cut down what you eat you will suffer the consequences lol

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I am moving to Victoza on Thursday
Is it too soon to ask how you're getting on?
I am also moving to victoza in a week.
I'll be interested in your experience as well. The endocrinologist I saw recently has recommended Saxenda (same drug, higher dose) for weight loss. My last HbA1c was 44 so technically I shouldn't be prescribed Victoza because my BG is well controlled. My GP has tried telling me that it's not in her BNF so can't be prescribed. Should I tell her to get an up to date copy because it's definitely in the NICE online version? The endo has referred me to the diabetes clinic anyway, so we shall see where we go with this. I've also found out that I have an under-active thyroid so I might see if the Selenium recommended for that is going to work and my metabolism starts to play ball.

Ladylaurax

Is it too soon to ask how you're getting on?

Hi David
Appetite is reduced, not as much as I thought it would be though. I think that I had unrealistic expectations that I would eat nothing but obviously I have to eat to stay alive haha!

I started on 0.6 on Thursday last week, I weighed last night and I’d lost 3lb. It’s totally removed my cravings for chocolate. I also don’t over eat as I’m conscious of listening to my body when it says it’s full so that I’m not poorly

I have had burps only a few, I’ve had an upset tummy a couple of times & ive felt sick a couple of times but nothing major. I take mine at night before bed so maybe that helps. I have felt more tired though

Going up to 1.2 tonight

Good luck David

shardy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must be having a rough ride of it. I have been using victoza for 4 days and have been having um... horrendous stomach disturbances (probably best way to phrase it). The best way to describe it would be like a particularly nasty bout of gastroenteritis. I am on 0.6 right now and go up to 1.2 on Monday. I am sticking with it though. I’m in my thirties so need to get my hba1c under control to avoid issues later on.

On the up side I am definitely not hungry, I haven’t weighed myself so have no idea if I have lost any weight but my daily testing is showing an improvement on my blood sugars.

Pre victoza fasting test 10.4 on average

Now 7.4 - 8.2

Guessing I will get there in the end. I’m starting to see results on sugars in a short space of time so onwards and upwards!