Type 2 your thoughts

scooterlad75

I find on this forum at times it can be a bit doom and gloom. When i was diagnosed, it spurred me on to be smarter about lifestyle choices ect. Anyone else find it a kick up the **** to sort yourselves out? I think i did.

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have always been motivated to eat better and exercise more because I am scared of getting diabetes complications. I find it helpful to be realistic, in that if I allow my HbA1c and other indicators to stay above normal, I am risking those complications. I would rather know the truth as early as possible, than find out later that there was something I could have done to prevent it.

Blindness, amputations and dialysis are the extreme complications, but I would also not like to have continual skin and other infections, neuropathy that affected my stomach and bowel function, numbness or tingling in my feet, vision problems, and knowing that every cold or tummy bug is going to be more severe and last longer than it otherwise would. Eating healthy is a small price to pay to avoid these things.

Reactions: 8 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I know this sounds dreadful but given the choice of Diabetes or Cancer I would pick Diabetes

Cancer I think would cause me no end of worry, maybe I am in denial about my Diabetes I have many complications associated with it, I have been offered counselling and not taken that offer up, If I had cancer I think I would welcome counselling of some sort

Glad you are sorting your life with Diabetes Scooterlad

I have been put on the diet from hell even though as you can see in my pic I am not obese (I am in range for my ideal weight)
I eat fairly well anyways but my diet sheet and carb counting plan along with my change of insulin is the way ahead for me and I hope to see some improvements.

Scooterlad some folk struggle with Diabetes and for various reasons have poor control, If anything I feel indifferent to my Diabetes and I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing, some days are great and some are truly horrendous, c'est la vie!;)

Reactions: 2 people

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
See now I've had cancer and now have diabetes. Given the choice. I'd have cancer again as that was far easier for me.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
See now I've had cancer and now have diabetes. Given the choice. I'd have cancer again as that was far easier for me.
They are both unwanted conditions both serious and both need a cure
I feel extremely sorry for anyone enduring both
I hope you are cancer free Croc?

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
They are both unwanted conditions both serious and both need a cure
I feel extremely sorry for anyone enduring both
I hope you are cancer free Croc?

Yeah have been for 9 years. Cancer was a doddle, an inconvenience. Diabetes has more of an effect on my life.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah have been for 9 years. Cancer was a doddle, an inconvenience. Diabetes has more of an effect on my life.
Thank goodness you have had 9 years cancer free, long may that continue

Cancer took both my parents unfortunately, I really miss them

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the forum great to inspire me to get my Hb results down to non diabetic levels and I know by coming on here everyday I am now more inclined to keep myself on track. The one thing I have realised is getting it down is only half the battle because I now have to keep it there, but at least thanks to everyone here I now know what I am doing and it has given me the confidence I need to give advice to others.

Reactions: 6 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
For me it came as a challenge, I actually enjoy having to take control of what I eat and keeping to a routine to get a decent (OK that means small) amount of exercise.

Reactions: 4 people
Hi at first I did go depressed and that but after talking to my therapist (for other reasons) it did push me to join group and lose weight (actually completed a 5k run on 7th July) and eating habits completely changed

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When diagnosed with T2, I tried the recommended diet, and thought that the meds and diet would help me cope and because of a busy lifestyle and not realising that it wasn't working.
Second diagnosis of diabetes, more meds, more diets that didn't work!

I buried my head in the sand in hypo hell. Frustration and anger that nothing was working!

Diagnosed through my consultant, because of recurring hypos and my GPs clueless attitude on blood glucose metabolic conditions.

This gave me a good ol' kicking and a desire to make mused 'well' again!

My willpower took over! A bloody minded determination to never feel that way again and get myself healthy!

I think the fact that I had to do the things I did, to get myself well. I have become so strong minded about the way to deal with my condition that there is no leeway.

T2 diabetics get choices, I don't!