Type 2's - How does it really all work.

simply_h

Hello All,

I have been thinking and have more questions, aimed for TYPE 2's.

1. When does 1st phase insulin process start?

2. Does it start from the 1st mouth full of food or does it start from when food is processed by body.

3. How long does the 1st phase insulin response last for?

4. How long does the 2nd phase insulin response last for?

I know that Basal insulin is always on, like a dripping tap ect.

Reason why I am asking is, need too understand why a lot of the time, if I test at the 1 hours mark after starting to eat food my levels are somtimes above 7.5mmol (7.5 to 9.1mmol), BUT at the 2 hours mark I am down to around 5.5 to 6.5mmol.

So therefore my blood sugar is swinging around for fun. Is this normally what happens in TYPE2 ect.

Thank you.

Simply_h

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
simply_h said:
Hello All,

I have been thinking and have more questions, aimed for TYPE 2's.
Answers for non diabetics,
1. When does 1st phase insulin process start?
within 2 min of ingesting food

2. Does it start from the 1st mouth full of food or does it start from when food is processed by body.

3. How long does the 1st phase insulin response last for?
10-15 min
reduced first phase insulin release happens at an early stage in the development of T2
4. How long does the 2nd phase insulin response last for?
until normal glucose levels are restored.

I know that Basal insulin is always on, like a dripping tap ect.

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/483307_2
need to register to read in full

Reason why I am asking is, need too understand why a lot of the time, if I test at the 1 hours mark after starting to eat food my levels are somtimes above 7.5mmol (7.5 to 9.1mmol), BUT at the 2 hours mark I am down to around 5.5 to 6.5mmol.

So therefore my blood sugar is swinging around for fun. Is this normally what happens in TYPE2 ect.

Thank you.

Simply_h

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. Your BS swing seems normal i.e. at around 1 hour your BS will have risen as you absorb glucose into the blood from the carbs you have eaten but at the 2 hour point the BS will have dropped back to near normal (how near will depend on the degree of diabetes you have and so on) as a result of your body's insulin working.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi i got the news as been a type 2.
My blood sugars range from 4.3to 18.8 this is driving me mad
I eat porrage celery bananas chicken have cut out spuds have been told drink a lot of water
Can any one give addvice

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum, Peter.

Please read the information for the newly diagnosed, then come back and ask specific questions:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26870

The best way to find out how the different carbohydrates affect you is to test prior to eating, then again 1-2 hours after eating.

Of the list you have given, I personally cannot eat porridge or bananas because they send my blood glucose too high. The only way to know for sure is by using a glucometer to test.