Type II and contact lenses

Kleinian

My last diabetic retinopathy check was OK but I did seem to have some problems of a minor nature in my left eye. I have been struggling with my vision for some time and depending on specs from the £1 shop! Most opticians seem to be rip off merchants flogging specs at incredible prices. I finally forced myself to get three pairs from Specsavers - reading, computer monitor and distance. I insisted on having their £25 a pair cheap specs despite all their efforts to move me up to the much more expensive ranges! The specs I got were marginal. The reading specs are being returned today because they really don't work.

I did try contact lenses of the daily variety from Specsavers but I have lots of trouble using them. I fell over the new silicone hydrogel lenses on the Web and they can be worn for a whole month. I don't know why Specsavers didn't offer them to me. I gather that the silicone hydrogel manages to supply adequate oxygen to the eye even when eyes are closed at night.

Monthly lenses would be of enormous use to me. I find specs an absolute curse. My vision has always been 20/20 (6/6 when I got metricated!) and I do not use any vision aids very well. The idea of only having to grapple with contact lenses once a month fills me with joy.

Anyone have any ideas about these new lenses and whether they can be used by Type II folk?

Addendum:-

I went into the local Specsavers this afternoon and saw an elderly optician I hadn't met previously and he was very super. We had a long conversation about contact lenses and we finally concluded that I should stick with my daily disposable lenses. It would seem that 30 day contact lenses are really not good news and they need to be removed and cleaned quite frequently. Daily disposables would seem preferable and they are a lot cheaper! So. I have answered my own query but I hope this message will help someone!!

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi There,

I am a T2 and wore monthly disposables for 15 years up until about 2 months before diagnosis. My sight wasn't up to scratch and the lenses really hurt my eyes. I ended up with an ulcer in my left Eye. I decided to stay off for a few months and wear specs (which I hate) but when I tried to get back on them, my optician said that given my T2 status and my ulcer he would not reccomend lenses at all.

I am thinking of having lasers surgery as I do a lot of water sports and glasses are not the best thing.

Keep us informed as to how you go on with the daily lenses as I might ask my optician if these would be suitable - how much are they per month if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,
Carl