Type one for 2.5 years and background rentinopathy

eabhamurphy

I've been T1 for 2.5 years and I just got a letter saying that I have 'some background retinopathy', I feel so depressed because I dont know what this means for my future. I feel like i have no control over it and it will just get worse and worse. What should I do?:(

Elc1112

I completely understand why you feel like that. I was gutted the first time I was told that I had background retinopathy. A lot of diabetics will have received the same letter. In fact, I have received the same letter for the last 4 years! I spoke to the hospital about it and they said they could see signs of diabetic changes in my eyes. It wasn't anything to be overly concerned about at the moment. As long as I keep my sugars under control etc. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Speak to your doctor/optician/DSN if you are worried :)

weeezer

hugs to you. i'm t1 (12 years) and got the same letter as you in 2010. was hugely panicked, i thought my control over the years had been pretty good with a few lapses. i'm new on this forum, i expect there'll be others around with some great info, experience & support...all i found out was that they just keep an eye on things(no pun intended!) and can treat with laser if it progresses. my eyesight feels same as ever and hasn't deteriorated as far as i can tell.

sure i read on here somewhere that someone's consultant had said it's rare to lose sight with this these days, only read that recently and felt slightly comforted!

i do know with careful control we can halt it and stop further complications.

weezer x