inevitably

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

Along with t1 diabetes, I have multiple food intolerances and allergies, celiac disease and sulfite sensitivity. I have a really hard time finding foods that I tolerate to correct hypos with. Glucose and dextrose is usually derived from starches that I am allergic to and bleached with sulfites. Is there anyone who have found a glucose/starch brand using potatoes or some fruit to produce their product, or a glucose which is extra purified and unbleached? If you have a sulfite intolerance, have you found a brand that you do not react to?

I usually eat bananas when I am low, but during the beech pollen season I cross-react to all fruits. :(

I will be thankful for any advice!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @inevitably ,

I just wanted to welcome you to the forums. I will not try to answer your question as I have no real knowledge of celiac disease but I will provide a link that may be of some use to you..............

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-coeliac.html

Have a look at the front end of the website, there is a lot of information buried in there. There's also a search box in the top right hand corner of these forum pages, so you might be able to find some related posts. Maybe some other forum members will stop by and offer some advice.

Good luck.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Welcome to forum.
Like you I have many intolerances to food and medicines
Including aspartane and sweeteners and preservatives.
I also have slow colonic transit which has has meant my colon has totally stopped working since having to have butrans patches for 6 months.
Now spend days in incredible pain with bloated hard constipated belly or having to have oral enemas and two days with bum on toilet!! They have given me new tablets to try and restart stomach but these are onlynworking if I stick to soups n smoothies..

Anyhow. For hypo stoppers after tips from others here I have just plain squares of sugar x 3 max. I tolerate sugar cubes but not dextro tablets etc.
Or when I remember I make some butter tablet from condensed milk.

I am also limited on gluten. I
Normally eat lactose free milk n yogurt but can tolerate homemade butter tablet.

inevitably

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello to you, and thanks a lot for your replies and welcomes!

I will take a look at the page you linked to, urbanracer.

donnellysdogs - I am terribly sorry to hear about your health situation. It sounds far harder to deal with than mine. How are your chances of getting better? It is hardly to much comfort, but at least you seem to tolerate a few things that I do not; for example, I cannot have common sugar since I get hypoglycemia from it, and I do not tolerate milk at all. Your hypo stoppers are therefore not compatible with me.

I will keep using the bananas until I find something better.

Take care!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hello to you, and thanks a lot for your replies and welcomes!

I will take a look at the page you linked to, urbanracer.

donnellysdogs - I am terribly sorry to hear about your health situation. It sounds far harder to deal with than mine. How are your chances of getting better? It is hardly to much comfort, but at least you seem to tolerate a few things that I do not; for example, I cannot have common sugar since I get hypoglycemia from it, and I do not tolerate milk at all. Your hypo stoppers are therefore not compatible with me.

I will keep using the bananas until I find something better.

Take care!

Crikey you are up against it too!!

On a drug to try and restart my innards working but seems like normal mashed veg or a squidgy veg lasagna isn't tolerated either. Hey ho, on I go.. Smoothies and soups and melon are ok... See gastro chap next week so looks like we might have to move to plan E whatever that is. Worst outcome will be a bag but will face that if it happens. Still upbeat thanks to a great dietitian today.

However, not helping you with a decent hypostopper though is it? That has really stumped me.. Nothing wrong with bananas though if thats what works......trouble is our bodies are so individually tuned.

As I'm so finding out it is all about taking that risk (that can make us ill!) to realise what we can and can't eat and looking at ingredients in everything!!