Type2 on insulin. Need advice.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Hello I am hoping someone out there can offer some advice as I'm going around in circles at present getting no where fast.....I'm type 2 on insulin....lantus solostar,22 units a.m. Apidra solo star,range from 2,3,4, units with meals. I am on continuous antibiotics and steroids. Due to steroids even if I don't have carbs with a meal( I'm generally on less than 50 carbs a day) I have been told by D.N to have at least 2 units apidra as level goes beyond 10+ when I eat. Now here is my question,for past few days I am awaking with reading of 3.1 to 3.9 this makes me feel dreadful. So should I a)lower my lantus,b)not take the apidra and just go high or c) any suggestions very welcome. Thank you.
Due to unrelated diabetes problems I have a very limited diet,I am not allowed nuts pulses,and little veg, my fibre intake has to be bare minimum.......

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi @axle 222

I have no experience with insulin so I am only passing on what I have read from others, who say that basal works on background BG, including fasting BG, and bolus works on post meal BGs. So from that it would seem logical to look at the basal first.

BUT you need to ask your DN. Is he/she with a GP practice or a hospital team?

What is your BG at bedtime?

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @axle 222

I have no experience with insulin so I am only passing on what I have read from others, who say that basal works on background BG, including fasting BG, and bolus works on post meal BGs. So from that it would seem logical to look at the basal first.

Hi thank you,I have asked D.N and she says whilst on steroids stay as I am, but I'm always going to be on them......
My bedtime B.g.varies between 5.8- 6.4- 8.1......

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @axle 222

I see D.N at hospital and team as g.p. nurse not experienced enough..

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi thank you,I have asked D.N and she says whilst on steroids stay as I am, but I'm always going to be on them......
My bedtime B.g.varies between 5.8- 6.4- 8.1......
Yes, you are always going to be on them, so they need to give you a solution that works with that. Did she say this after you told her how low your fasting BGs are? I know some people feel fine between 3.0 and 4.0 but I don't think I would.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, you are always going to be on them, so they need to give you a solution that works with that. Did she say this after you told her how low your fasting BGs are? I know some people feel fine between 3.0 and 4.0 but I don't think I would.
Sorry for delay in answering,mothers 84th birthday today!!!
Yes, was told this after I gave readings, hence asking the forum......
Going to cut lantus by 2units tomorrow morning then see how it goes......
Hope you got some answers from your G.p. liked the link from moderator,I too queried meds with gastroenterologist,he said bile acid malabsorption can create same symptoms,seems many symptoms mimic other conditions,all confusing......or perhaps that's just me!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a suggestion - you might find your questions get responses from experienced insulin users, if they are asked in the type 1 part of the forum.

Perhaps the mods would consider moving the thread?

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just a suggestion - you might find your questions get responses from experienced insulin users, if they are asked in the type 1 part of the forum.

Perhaps the mods would consider moving the thread?
Thank you,posted on here because I'm type 2. But open to suggestions.....

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would be inclined to try reducing the Basal but only by 1 unit at a time, checking with the meter in the morning and leaving a couple of days between changes. I tweak my Basal up and down a bit by 1 unit if my lifestyle changes a bit.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. I would be inclined to try reducing the Basal but only by 1 unit at a time, checking with the meter in the morning and leaving a couple of days between changes. I tweak my Basal up and down a bit by 1 unit if my lifestyle changes a bit.
Thank k you diabell for the advice I will give it a try in the morning......

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on lantus and apidra also. Lantus I was on 12 units but just increased that to 14. I take 14-16 units of apidra with meals.
If you are waking up with lows it's probably a good idea to drop the basal dose (lantus) and increase the bolus dosage a little. My endocrinologist prefers the basal to be less and the bolus to be higher. Although advice he has given to me is if I go for several days with high BGL's then I should increase the lantus by 2 units which is what I've just done. So I agree with what others here have said. :)