1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type2. waking 2.1then 1 hr later after shower etc 14.2

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by berylc, Mar 22, 2016.

1. berylc

berylc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Got up in the night to get a drink and took my bloods and got a high reading of 14.1
    6.30am on rising 2.1 - machine told me too low
    7.25 after shower and drying hair , NO food or fluids yet, it went up to 14.1

Can someone explain this to me please. I presume it's my body taking sugar from somewhere in my body?

Now sitting down to porage with cinnamon and a handful of raspberries and a cup of tea. Will test an hour later at work. I'm off medication at the moment, trying to sort this with diet (previous posting about metformin and active bowel action!). Couldn't look online at the sites recommended as the computer went into a silly mode and I gave up at 11.35pm!

thanks for your advice in advance, off to work in a mo.

2. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think 2.1 might just be an incorrect reading. An error on the machine, or not enough blood when you are testing half asleep first thing in the morning (OK, that might just be something I do).

2.1 is really very low and I think it would be quite unusual for someone on no medication to get that low. Someone might be able to correct me on that though.

How did you feel when it was saying 2.1? Unless you usually run very low readings I would not expect that you would be feeling well enough to get in the shower with no food at 2.1.

There might be different ideas, but a dawn phenomen taking you from 2 to 14 seems a bit of a stretch...

3. AtkinsMo

AtkinsMo Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

If you are trying to sort it out with diet alone I think you will need to cut out stuff like porridge, you may be able to try introducing it back later if your insulin resistance improves, but for now I'd go strict low car, preferably something egg based for brekky but if you can't face that try a bowl of full fat Greek yoghurt with a few berries and a spoonful of flax seeds (personally I'd mill them a bit).

A non diabetic resource, but one that I think is excellent for a low carb diet is Tim Noakes' real meal revolution green list, follow this to the letter, add foods slowly and 'to the meter' from the Orange list when you have your bloods in control, avoid food on the red list for ever.

http://realmealrevolution.com/real-food-lists#green

Have you checked the history on the meter? First thought is you were sleepy and miss-read it and it said 12.1! If not I think your meter might be wrong on that occasion, but not my area of expertise, I admit. Good luck

4. muzza3

muzza3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Did you check out the battery?

5. uart

uart Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

Yes, it's highly unlikely to get readings that far apart in such a short time without any medication or food being involved. I think it's almost for certain that the 2.1 was a rogue reading.

Be careful if you've just washed your hands that they're not still wet. Obviously it's a good thing for us that our meters only need a tiny fraction of a drop of blood, but remember that when measuring such a tiny amount that even small amounts of water dilution can significantly change the result.

6. 1andylock

1andylock Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Meter problem or wet hands.
    porridge is OK fir me by the way. For others not. We are all different and react to foods differently.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook