Type2. waking 2.1then 1 hr later after shower etc 14.2

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Got up in the night to get a drink and took my bloods and got a high reading of 14.1
6.30am on rising 2.1 - machine told me too low
7.25 after shower and drying hair , NO food or fluids yet, it went up to 14.1

Can someone explain this to me please. I presume it's my body taking sugar from somewhere in my body?

Now sitting down to porage with cinnamon and a handful of raspberries and a cup of tea. Will test an hour later at work. I'm off medication at the moment, trying to sort this with diet (previous posting about metformin and active bowel action!). Couldn't look online at the sites recommended as the computer went into a silly mode and I gave up at 11.35pm!

thanks for your advice in advance, off to work in a mo.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think 2.1 might just be an incorrect reading. An error on the machine, or not enough blood when you are testing half asleep first thing in the morning (OK, that might just be something I do).

2.1 is really very low and I think it would be quite unusual for someone on no medication to get that low. Someone might be able to correct me on that though.

How did you feel when it was saying 2.1? Unless you usually run very low readings I would not expect that you would be feeling well enough to get in the shower with no food at 2.1.

There might be different ideas, but a dawn phenomen taking you from 2 to 14 seems a bit of a stretch...

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are trying to sort it out with diet alone I think you will need to cut out stuff like porridge, you may be able to try introducing it back later if your insulin resistance improves, but for now I'd go strict low car, preferably something egg based for brekky but if you can't face that try a bowl of full fat Greek yoghurt with a few berries and a spoonful of flax seeds (personally I'd mill them a bit).

A non diabetic resource, but one that I think is excellent for a low carb diet is Tim Noakes' real meal revolution green list, follow this to the letter, add foods slowly and 'to the meter' from the Orange list when you have your bloods in control, avoid food on the red list for ever.

http://realmealrevolution.com/real-food-lists#green

Have you checked the history on the meter? First thought is you were sleepy and miss-read it and it said 12.1! If not I think your meter might be wrong on that occasion, but not my area of expertise, I admit. Good luck

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Did you check out the battery?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it's highly unlikely to get readings that far apart in such a short time without any medication or food being involved. I think it's almost for certain that the 2.1 was a rogue reading.

Be careful if you've just washed your hands that they're not still wet. Obviously it's a good thing for us that our meters only need a tiny fraction of a drop of blood, but remember that when measuring such a tiny amount that even small amounts of water dilution can significantly change the result.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meter problem or wet hands.
porridge is OK fir me by the way. For others not. We are all different and react to foods differently.