1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

typeonegrit Facebook group - what do I have to do?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Colin of Kent, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've requested to join three times, each time giving appropriate answers to the questions, but my requests are never approved. It's been several weeks since my last attempt. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi Colin, I really don't know, maybe a tech problem their end, but hopefully someone will be along to help you out, good luck ?

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

4. Colin of Kent

5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Ah ok yes I think that is very strictly controlled and every one vetted by RD Dijkman personally. Maybe send him a tweet (if you are a twitterer) and let him know? He only lets in T1's who are low carbing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. StewartH

StewartH Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's the key. They ask questions to see if you are following a keto diet lifestyle. If you convince them, you get accepted.

7. limmi

limmi Type 1 · Member

Msg the admins and ask them. Thats what i did. Don't really know why they are so particular, feels a bit offensive to be honest.

8. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Message RD Dikeman, Colin. He’ll ask you a few questions and have a little chat about your management and understanding of this system before letting you in. Yes, @limmi - they are particular, but for a very good reason, mainly US related. There are parents in the group who have had Child Protective Services involved and the threat of children taken away because they refuse to follow the prescribed ADA high carb diet. Some have been ordered by the courts to feed their children a certain amount of carbohydrate at each meal (logged on their pump) - often when parents are separated and there are disagreements about the child's diabetes management. There’s some real horror stories - and there’s been instances of the estranged parent, or “spy” trying to access the group.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The ADA guidelines for hi carb for kids appear to be being used like a mandatory treatment order (usually reserved for patients with mental health problems) for a captive audience (children) by some US physicians. presumably of the paediatric variety. Just who really are the abusers. ?? Wake up America !!
    The poor kids all need stickers saying ": "I 'm with Dr Bernstein'. Mind you with ADA softening their position on low carb and hopefully if more dieticians will make a stand things might change. What do most doctors know about nutrition anyways??

Edited by mod to remove a v sweeping generalisation

• Agree Agree x 1
    #9 kitedoc, Jan 31, 2019 at 8:52 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2019
  10. Colin of Kent

Wow. I had no idea about that, but now it makes total sense. Glad I don't live in the US!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Harrysdad

Harrysdad Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think we're all glad we don't live in the US! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Colin of Kent

Yes, this is just another reason to add to the many I already have!

• Like Like x 2
  13. limmi

limmi Type 1 · Member

wow i had no idea, thank you for clarifying Mel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook