Typical!

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Bit of background first:

I’m on an insulin pump, have been for 4 years, I handle it reasonably well, I carb count and have improved considerably from when I was on MDI injections.

The last 12 months having read numerous books including the amazing Gary Scheiner ‘Think Like A Pancreas’; followed with advice from people on here and also by reducing my carbohydrate intake, and exercising almost 5 times a week I’ve improved things even more.
I’ve managed to get my HBA1c down from 7.4% to 6.7% in 6 months, I’ve gone from 8st 2lb to 7st 5lb in 18 months (just in time for my wedding next month-yey) and I do genuinely feel healthy.

I’m really proud of myself and love the low carb diet, I literally went from about 300 carbs a day to about 124, sometimes only 100. My control is the best it’s ever been, don’t get me wrong I’m still learning and have just self funded a CGM to go with my pump so that I can fine tune and iron out the kinks once a month – just to make sure basals are correct really.

So anyway I went to clinic for my 3-4 month review today. I usually see my DSN which is fine, she’s a nice lady, she knows my history, knows I’m more than capable, knows I’ve borrowed the hospital sensor about 4 times, but whilst she was giving me all my blood results I couldn’t help but laugh in my head at what she was coming out with – she’s meant to be the font of all knowledge for diabetes and instead I get the following statements:

“So how long can you leave the sensor in for?” – Your a diabetes nurse that has previously given me a sensor – stupid question

“what blood tests do you normally get?” – you ordered them, you tell me

In response to why do I keep going hypo late afternoon – “ooh I don’t know, it is tricky isn’t it”

“You like to keep a close eye on your HBA1c don’t you, you shouldn’t worry so much” – erm, really, this is the indicator for how tight you can run your control and a good measure of reducing complications.

Is it just me or is it really scary that health professionals know less than us?

I was telling her about the lower carb diet I was following and that I was always out and about keeping busy and her responses every time are along the lines of, why are you on a diet your slim anyway.

The best one was me asking how related amenorrhea and diabetes was and where any patients similar to myself – her response: “that’s strange. I wonder if it’s a hormonal problem, go and see your GP”

Anyway never mind, rant over (sorry), really infuriates me that we have to go away and learn how to live and survive all by ourselves and then we get no recognition for how bloody hard we’ve worked for it. I mean our lives are a full time job! It’s no wonder we’re all shattered and half depressed.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Faith*

Well done for getting your Hba1c down. I'm hoping that when I get my results mine will have come down too (I've been on a pump about a year but very low carb since about jan).

Sometimes people do say silly things - perhaps she was having an off day!!

I sometimes think even experts that aren't diabetic don't really understand diabetes well enough (simply because they don't have to deal with it all the time). That's why we have super helpful forums like this!!

Good luck with your wedding :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Faith.

Amenorrhea can be associated with being underweight, amongst other things so it would be worth seeing your GP and ask for a referral to a gynae for a differential diagnosis.

wiflib

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you answered that as a professional wiflib.
I was going to say that I know that many women runners and dancers with low body fat, develop amenorrhea.
I also stopped my periods when I lost a lot of weight before diagnosis. I thought it was the menopause but once on insulin and back to more normality I resumed having periods. (that could have been lack of insulin, low body weight or a mixture of the two)

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
we have wondered if it's a combination of the weight loss, increased exercise and stress. I've been checked out by an endocrinologist who says I'm all normal and the gynaecologist said the same thing, if anything apparently my oestrogen levels are on the slightly lower end. I'm wondering if after the wedding I'll destress and then most likely head straight to Tesco's gluten free cake section :lol: :lol:

Thanks Patch - how are you finding low carbing on the pump?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Low carbing on the pump is going well. I tried to low carb on MDI but I couldn't get the adjustments small enough, so thought I would try again after getting used to my pump and it seems to be going well :) I love the fact I can give small amount of insulin straightaway and stretch the rest over a couple of hours.

I think the hardest thing initially about low carbing was getting used to not eating bread :shock: (harder than changing my insulin doses anyway!).

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Really pleased for you Faith, hope you both have a happy, healthy and long life together :thumbup:

Faith*

Dislikes
Thanks noblehead, you too x

I miss bread so much. I think after the wedding I'm going to start treating myself to a slice or two a week haha