1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ultra running with t1d

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by Julian Brand, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Julian Brand

Julian Brand · Newbie

Hi, I’ve just decided to go for the challenge of a 53 mile ultra race but I am really nervous about how to manage my diabetes during training and the race. I can just about wing it for a marathon but I know I can’t for these longer events. First thing, I need to start using a CGM so any advice on that? Then I would really appreciate tips from anyone that has experience ie what do you eat before, during and after, do you in inject on the run? I really don’t know much so all advice very greatly received. Julian ps if you want to run Race to the Tower with me you would be very welcome indeed

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Julian Brand

Julian Brand · Newbie

Ps I’m also completely new to this app and forum so tips on that too would be great and if I breach any etiquette, I didn’t meant to, I’m just a new kid on the block

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

• Like Like x 1
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Julian, I'm not suggesting you would necessarily want to mimic Ian Lake's T1 management style, but this sure as heck makes a decent read: http://type1keto.com/

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

great minds...

6. SarahFD

SarahFD · Newbie

A group of people with type 1 diabetes did lakes in a day last year, if you Google 'lakes in a day type 1 diabetes' you should find a page with a link to the write up of their experiences.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Good luck and I wish you all the very best :)

8. dtennant9

dtennant9 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm also running my first Ultra this year, thank you for linking to this. Seems like a good read.

9. Bon83

Bon83 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done on the marathon whinging - I'm attempting marathon this year eeek. So should steal your tips- I can whing it for a half at the moment. One thing I'm learning is the terrain makes a big difference. A steep hill with max exersion will cause a raise in bg - but long and steady creates more of a steady burn of carb/sugar

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook