stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Good Morning

Can someone please offer me an explanation for the following, i have been a type 2 for at lease 2 years and in that time i have never once had me levels in the normal range, i have and still am in the 12-16 range going as high as 20.4 last week, i am currently taking Metformin and Januvia two separate tablets with no decrease in my levels at all.

My question is i am extremely overweight by at least 5 stone and i have been told on may occasions i need to lose weight to help make my levels lower, i understand this and i have desperately tried to lose weigh going as far as been kept in hospital for four days and nights for various test and to monitor my food intake i do not nor do i ever eat anymore than the recommended intake for my daily needs, I have for the last seven days followed the weight watchers program with my Wife she has lost 5 pound i have remained the same i cycle to work and i walk a minimum of 3 miles in the course of my employment everyday, Before anyone suggests it could be the type of food i eat i can tell you it is not i do not eat fatty foods i do not eat sweets or cakes i do not drink fizzy drinks and the last time i had alcohol was on the 15 Jan for my 50th Birthday and some 12 months before that i have followed Atkins Weigh watchers and slimming world it makes no difference at all,

My Weight problems started at the same time my diagnosis was given which also incidentally was the same time i developed a severe sleep problem its not apnea it is more a severe fragmented sleep problem whereby i cannot sleep for more than 1.5 hours without waking up leaving me extremely exhausted this in it's self causes weight problems. But i was just thinking why with me having constant high sugar levels am i not losing weight as i cannot be insulin resistant because the medication i take for insulin resistance does nothing at all

Cheers
Stillo

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
stillo said:
My Weight problems started at the same time my diagnosis was given which also incidentally was the same time i developed a severe sleep problem its not apnea it is more a severe fragmented sleep problem whereby i cannot sleep for more than 1.5 hours without waking up leaving me extremely exhausted this in it's self causes weight problems.

Were you tested at a sleep study centre? I had the most common type of apnea known as obstructive sleep apnea and when I was tested it was discovered that I was having something like 60 apnea episodes per hour. I was wholly unaware of them. I thought I had fitful sleeps, waking every hour or so and feeling totally drained in the morning. Being so exhausted, I couldn't do anything, got high blood pressure and put on lots more weight. As soon as it was diagnosed, I got a CPAP machine and felt quite a lot better after the first night using it. By the end of the week I felt rested.

You need about 3 hours deep sleep every night. Most of the rest of sleep can be lighter. If you don't get the deep sleep, which desn't have to be continuous, you will deteriorate physically. I thought I was waking every hour or so but the damage was being done because the episodes did not allow me to ever go into deep sleep mode.

Probably also a good idea to do deep breathing exercises and sleep propped up. Both helped me whilst I was waiting for appointments and until I got my machine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Stillo
Could you be some other kind of diabetic that a typical T2, perhaps your doctor might do some more tests if you ask? However I synmpathise with your weight problems. I've been experiencing difficulties in that line for months myself.
For me the only way I can lose even a half kilo is to cut my carbs right down to almost zero and to eat TINY portions. I'm currently trying to keep to a VERY STRICT VLC diet every other day and if I relax a little occasionally, I make sure it's on the right day. By relax, I mean perhaps have a tiny bite of something with carbs in.
It's frustrating I fell furious sometimes. I keep my BG below 6 pretty much every time I test, but this morning I was 6.2 and really angry with myself. I baked a cake with my grandson yesterdqay. I didn't eat any of it, but Idid make a couple of tiny cupcakes with some of the mixture [no flour chocolate cake with half the recipe's measure of sugar] I did share one of these tiny cakes with my grandson!
Hana

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would firstly cleanse the colon,often you can buy bottled varieties from Holland and Barrett labelled as that.
There are lots of herbal or foodstuffs alternatives if you have any allergies, don't be scared to ask.
I don't personally recommend colonic here by the way, its invasive and can perforate the bowel.
Once that's done try green coffee bean extract, it specifically targets fat around the abdomen.
And water water water all the way x

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Good Afternoon all

thank you very much for your re;pies and to answer them in order please see below

1 I have had a full polysomnogram whereby i had 27 wires attached to my head eyes and chin i have the oxygen meter attached to my thumb for an overnight study, can you imagine how i felt traveling from Nottingham to Leeds on a train with all these wires poking out from under my tee shirt, anyway the upshot of it was i have severely fragmented sleep with a significant delay into deep sleep in the first half of the night and severely fragmented sleep in the second half of the night i only sleep about 3 to 4.5 hours per night and that is very fitfully, i am always completely drained, i have been told by two different hospitals that i have sleep apnea the first one in Leeds says i have moderate sleep apnea and the one in Nottingham says i have mild sleep apnea, i have tries a cpap machine unfortunately that made things completely worse i cannot nor will i ever tolerate that thing again

2 I am definetely a type 2 according to my Dr i have been put back on Metformin this last week and it is causing severe pains in my back around my hip and waist area exactly the same as it did before Christmas, this is not what i expected from the general side effects of Metformin this pain is preventing me from bending over and it is effecting how i walk it is not doing anything for me Levels at all i cannot regardless of what i eat lower my levels i have followed Atkins to the letter it makes no difference whatsoever, i will be at my Dr's this week and i will no longer be taking Metformin.

3 i have never tried this method but anything is worth a go thank you very much for your suggestion

Once again thanks to all

Stillo

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am in exactly the same boat. I have had a consult with the bariatric team and been following their 1200 cals a day diet and not lost a gram in a week so far. It is soul destroying, nothing works, not calorie control, low fat, low carb, nothing. I am extremely downhearted and just don't know what to do next, if you don't lose 10% of your weight you can't have the surgery but I am there because nothing I do loses any weight!

If you ever find the answer let me know, likewise I will tell you too!!!!

Ali

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
As someone who puts on a lb even looking at a sandwich I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm 9 stone overweight. have tried every diet going, I lose a few pounds but always put it back on and more besides.

I have been struggling with what I should eat since being diagnosed T2 3 weeks ago.
I've cut out all sugary foods, bread apart from 1 wholemeal roll a day. have sliced chicken and lots of salad with a very very thin spread of salad cream to moisten the roll. (I found it at co op, their brand healthy choice. very little carbs and sugar) all fats, bananas and have swapped pasta and rice to wholewheat.
if I have potato's, I par boil them and then dry roast them. or just boil them depending on what I'm having with them.
Portion sizes are down too. I use the plate method for this to make sure I'm not eating to much carbs.

I have lost 9lbs in 3 weeks. not a lot I know but slow and sure is always best for me. I hope you find something that helps you.
vonbon1

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
stillo said:
i have tries a cpap machine unfortunately that made things completely worse i cannot nor will i ever tolerate that thing again

That's a blow if you can't tolerate the CPAP. Presumably you were at St James'? Did they give you any advice about sleeping in a more upright position of any info on deep breathing exercises? I would go into a sort of mini panic about not getting any air as I started to doze off but sitting upright and having done the exercises helped before I got the machine. I still have to do that when we have a powercut in the middle of the night.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
vonbon1 said:
I have lost 9lbs in 3 weeks. not a lot I know but slow and sure is always best for me.

If you continue to do that it is very promising, because you are changing the foods that you eat, as opposed to grinding your way through a 'diet'. Diets that had targets where it was a matter of will not to eat what I wanted to in order to achieve the target, never worked for me. Once the target was achieved, I'd relax back into my bad old ways.

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Yorksman

yes it was at St James's and the staff there were excellent unfortunately i think it is me that just about rejects every treatment offered because i am probably impatient although i did try to tolerate cpap for nearly 18 month the machine said i was compliant but i laid in bed with a mask virtually nailed to my face to stop it leaking for 4 hours of the compliance totally wide awake. no matter what i did the various masks would not seal, i think the cpap actually caused my insomnia, Plus i never once felt refreshed in that 18 Months hence me discharging myself and returning the Machine

I have today had to make an appointment with my Gp for tomorrow the muscular aches that taking the Metformin is causing is unacceptable, he did mention, Gliclazide last time i was there but that is a no no i am not going to put on any more weight nor do i fancy possibly having hypo's i will consider taking nothing at all, please do not tell me im stupid i know i am and i know how important it is that we get things under control with medication,no matter what medication i take i always have the worst side effects and i have had it with it, i have virtually stopped eating and that is no lie there is no reason i should have high levels with the amount or type of food i eat, i am at this very moment 16.4 four and a half hours after having a tin of weight watchers soup

Regards
Stillo

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Stillo, I'm so bad usually can't stick to a diet for more than a few days, but the way I see it now is I have no choice. but I am enjoying what I eat now and am not missing anything.
I have to get my bs down and this is the only way it's going to happen, unless they decide to put me on meds. I'm determined to get it down as much as possible. I seem to have found some much needed will power :lol:

I'm just back from Gp thought I'd ask about a blood monitor, he agrees that it would help me. he's going to let me know tomorrow.

Vonbon1

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Vonbon 1

I admire what you are doing and i hope it keeps working for you but i can say hand on heart i will do anything i can to prove to these professionals that they are wrong. i have followed every single bit of advice that they have given me over the last two years, i have been to see a registered dietician and i have spent 4 days and nights in hospital to see why i cannot lose weight and all they tell me is i must be eating to much, i suppose i must not be taking my medication because in 10 years i have never had my blood pressure controlled and in the last two years they cannot seem to get my levels within normal range so on that basis it must really be my fault.

A sample days food for me will be 07.00am 2 hard boiled eggs 11.30 am a tin of weight watchers soup 18.30 to 19.00 pm mixed veg and meat and yes all fat removed and that is it nothing more, on top of that i cycle to work every day a total of 12 miles return journey and i walk a minimum of 3 miles per day every day 5 times per week i suppose i could at a push cycle 100 miles a day and walk maybe 200 miles per day possibly 250 that may work. SORRY i am just a little frustrated i have absolutely no confidence in the medical profession at all, i have made a decision from tomorrow when i see my gp i will no longer be taking misinform nor will i allow him to prescribe me anything else i am not prepared to suffer any more side effects

Cheers
Stillo

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Stillo, I know just where you're coming from, you put in all the effort and nothing happens. makes you so frustrated. as a serial dieter (20 years plus) I know what and how much to eat. just never do it right. lol

I know by what you have put in your last post that you're not eating enough to lose weight. you need to eat a certain amount of calories to be able to burn it off.
If you don't eat enough your body stores the food as it doesn't know when it will get more food. food stores turn into fat.
I know this only too well, I'm a grazer, I can't sit down to a meal, so I eat little bits all day, usually not enough to burn off fat and usually the wrong things too. I stayed the same weight for 2 years drove me mental :crazy: Since I was diagnosed I have forced myself to eat meals, I have small portions so that I can manage to eat them, even with small portions I'm stuffed. somedays it's harder than others but I know I have to eat properly.

Sometimes we need to take a step back and look at what we are doing, pushing yourself too hard isn't always the way to go. you'll just make yourself ill or even more frustrated.

Hope this helps in some small way.
Vonbon1

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Hi Vonbon1

You are 100% correct and i will heed your advise but i am not holding out hope of losing weight, i hope i do im a little more relaxed this morning i have been to the gp and refused anymore medication, i have been told my legs and arms will drop off and i will go blind but i put him in his place when i told i am partially sighted that shut him up

Cheers
Stillo

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Vonbon 1

I have been racking my brains as to where i have seen that avatar before and it has just come to me, it is on an American sleep apnea forum that i frequent, it still makes me chuckle every time i see it

Stillo

Robin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Stillo - sound slike you are having a tough time. But some of the posts here are right - if you dont maintain a basic calorie level your body tends to stoe what it can when it can and it can be counter productive.
Also if you are exercising as you say (or at least have some significant energy expenditure) then it is possible that your liver is giving you all the blood sugar to play with - not your food.

I am using myfitnesspal - a diet website where I can recod my food intake - its accuate, has good goals and advise but importantly stores ome 200,000 food types on its database so it makes it real easy to log what goes in - and see where you may be going wrong.

I am losing weight - around 1.5lbs a week which is a pretty much standard recomendation for sustained weight loss - I am around 5 stone overweight so I know I have a long way to go.

The website records not only calories but also fat, carbs, sugars etc so you can really get a great idea of what changes you can make - for instance it tells me that weight watchers tomato soup is 76 calories but 14g carbs - so for me would be quite a high carb food item? I tend o stick wih high fat and very low carbs.

Hope it works out for you - it will but it may take a while............

regards - Robin

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
stillo said:
i have been told my legs and arms will drop off and i will go blind but i put him in his place when i told i am partially sighted that shut him up

Hi stillo, your doctor is trying to scare you, your legs and arms will not fall off.

However running the sort of high blood glucose levels that you are over time can lead to cardiovascular disease which can lead to bad circulation especially in the extremities ie feet, it is this that can cause wounds especially ulcers not to heal properly which can lead to gangrene and amputation. This is fact not scaremongering.

High blood glucose levels can also lead to increased pressure behind the eyes which can lead to retinopathy and blindness. Again fact not scaremongering.

Did I mention that high blood glucose can lead to kidney damage and ultimately kidney failure too. Once again fact not scaremongering.

You MUST get your blood glucose levels under control if you are to have the best chance of delaying or avoiding diabetic complications, please, please talk to your doctor again about medication, if you are unable to diet successfully medication is the only other way to reduce and control your blood glucose levels. Better a few side effects than the very real consequences of diabetic complications.

Please talk to your doctor again...

One other thing and then I shall shut up, you mention that your diet contains weight watchers soups. After checking the nutritional information for them it seems that a portion can be between 2.3g of carbs to a whooping 40.2g of carbs :shock: . Please check the labels and if you only eat the soups that are lower in carb soups you should find they have a lesser effect on raising your blood sugars.

Nutritional information for weight watchers soups ~ http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-f ... chers-soup

Have a read of this link for information on reducing your blood glucose viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26870

And finally good luck :D

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Thank you Sid Bonkers

I know you are correct yes i should take Medication, but Metformin put me in hospital Just before Christmas and i cannot tolerate the pain it caused, i was unable to walk i was doubled over in pain and my how can i put this delicately man bits became excessively swollen so much so that i was sent for an immediate ultrasound scan. Januvia has been of no help whatsoever my level is the same as it was 3 weeks ago,

My Gp wants to give me Gliclazide but i am very scared of gaining more weight and possibly going hypo i spend 95 % of my working day on my own so if anything happens i could be in danger there is no one around me until i get back to my home station (Railway) if push comes to shove i will have no alternative but to accept the medication, i thank you very much for your thoughts and i admit i am wrong and i should accept medication but as i say gaining amymore weight is a no go for me

Cheers
Stillo

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
So does Gliclazide cause weight gain ? Apologies for my ignorance. I am taking 4 a day since 3rd Jan and if they cause me to put on more weight I would be a little concerned.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

stillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not been able to walk
Hi Mo1905

My understanding and my Gp confirmed it this morning there is a very high chance of weight gain if you don't seriously watch what you eat, that is why i refused to let him prescribe it, they keep going on about the importance of losing weight then they give you a medication that has a high chance of causing more weight gain, i have no idea where these people are trained.

Stillo