Unable to work..

marchy91

Hi, I'm new to this forum...have been up all night worrying and so thought I'd see what I can find online!
So...I've been working "full time" but my blood sugars are constantly up and down so I end up having alot of time off of work, and I'm also having hospital appointments every couple of weeks to look at the food diaries I'm doing to try and solve the problems...but it has come to the point where 6 out of 7 days I can't work due to feeling unwell because of my blood sugars. I'm also having really bad hypos at night where I'm not really conscious of anything that is going on..I can just about wake up and tell my partner I'm having a hypo..then can't remember anything from there on! Which also means I am then too tired to work the next day. I'm not really sure what to do about work? I also have a trial shift at a new job but due to incidents at my previous job (will post in another topic!) I am now becoming extremely anxious about my blood sugars dropping and me having a hypo at work or having to have days off sick and that this will always affect my employment and have basically become very down about the whole situation! I can't afford not to work (of course nobody can!) and am now worried I am going to lose my house, car ect. because I cannot work! It's very frustrating and am just wondering if anyone could give me any advice?!
Would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds like you would benefit from enrolling enrolling on a carb counting course such as DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) which may be available in your area, ask your diabetes nurse about this course or similar, once you've been on such a course you will find your control improves and your hypo's will be much less frequent.

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Marchy and welcome to the forum :) I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Here are links to two information posts written by the forum monitors - the first all about hypos, and the second some general information to help you to manage your diabetes better. Hope these are useful.
Happy reading :)

First - on hypos:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=18529

Second, the general information - you may already know a lot about diabetes if you are not newly diagnosed (I'm not sure if this is the case) but it is our take on how best to manage your diabetes which may differ from what you have already been told. We have found that our method works well for both Type 1s, which I see you are, and Type 2s.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

Don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you like here. :)

marchy91

Hi, thanks for both of your answers :) I have already completed the Insight course which is a course on carb counting...so i am already doing that but still seem to have no control! I finished the course last month but have had another appointment and have another appointment coming up for me to still do all of the diaries etc and so it's basically continuing the course :)
Saw my GP this morning..have been signed off work for 3 weeks to try and get some form of grip on it! I've had diabetes for 10 years, the first couple seemed to be a doddle, and now it's just creating havoc! :( thanks for your help guys :)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Hi

1) Go to your GP tell him your problems your having and ask for a fit note (sick note)
Believe GP can give you one up to 12 weeks in one go
see http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2584.aspx?categoryid=190&subcategoryid=1903
Now you have the time to get better and sort your diabetes out

Opp Sorry just seen your post latest you have been to gp

2)Inform your employer of your heath problems tell them your diabetic
Under DDA act you are allowed time of for diabetic appointments unpaid
see http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-...8&t=19150&p=174683&hilit=dda+time+off#p174683

3) Once your under control you should be able to return to work with little disruption to you
or your employer

For Perm or Long term sickness you would have to claim ESA Employment and Support Allowance
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... /DG_171894

ESA can be quite difficult to get this with diabetes unless you have other conditions :?
not saying not to give it a go , just a heads up on the problems See: links
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/.../b_employment_and_support_allowance.pdf

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...disabled/documents/digitalasset/dg_177366.pdf

ESA activities,descriptors and points
http://www.disabilityalliance.org/f33.pdf

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just incidentally, if and when your doctor signs you back as being fit to work, it may be worth asking him that he notes on the fitness form that your return to work is dependent upon being able to test and eat as necessary to avoid hypo's and hypers. They can make comments about light work etc or limited hours etc, but it may be a good idea that you discuss with your GP when you are ready to go back to work....

In the meantime, it may be that the types of food that you are eating could be hindering some stability with insulin working. Did your insight course cover any aspects of this? I.e porridge may alter your levels, pizza, pasta etc....have you been told to eat a standard 3 or 4 jelly babies to recover from a hypo?-some persons (children etc) find that 3-4 jelly babies are too much and will sky rocket readings after a hypo.

You will get there, be positive and start back at basics again. Although being off work may imbalance readings again to when you are at work, so if you are normally active at work keep active at home, if you are deskbound at work try to keep to the same type of regime physically wise. Don't know if you use full unit insulin pens, or whether your DSN may give you a 1.2 unit dosage pen for your insulin, as sometimes a full unit can make a significant difference to levels.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
When you do return to work you can ask your GP for Occupational Heath to visit your works .
will then advise your employer of any adjustments will need to make for your return to work.

If you have been off a long time ,especially if you have been on ESA the occupational Heath visit is can be trigged automatically. Part of the Gov drive to keep everyone in work
also help your employer with The Equality Act 2010 that aims to protect disabled people and prevent discrimination.

Bob