Unbelievable!!

Dr. Nic

And its not even April 1st yet.....

The Primal diet: the silliest diet ever???

John, a 36-year-old from London, is discussing the foods his diet allows. Carrots perhaps? Or quinoa? “I'm very keen on a raw hare carcass,” he says. “Raw mallard is good too. So's raw tongue and raw organ meat. Ideally, it'll have been sitting around for three or four weeks and be really off. Some people like it when it's liquid mush but I prefer it really off, but still so you can stick a fork in it.”

If the Pineapple, Atkins and Cabbage Soup diets seemed extreme, then consider the fanatics worldwide following the latest allegedly detoxifying trend - the Primal Diet, an eating plan consisting of raw meat, eggs and dairy - preferably past their sell-by dates. The diet, the latest to hit Hollywood, was founded by Aajonus (pronounced oj-enus) Vonderplanitz, a 62-year-old nutritionist from California - and it can be only a matter of time before it's endorsed by a twig-thin starlet. The theory is that raw fats bind to the toxins in the body, which are then more readily transported out of the system.

At its most basic level adherents exist on 95 per cent raw meat, including chicken (made more palatable with a marinade of herbs and spices). When they eat out they can rely on culinary classics such as sashimi, steak tartare and beef carpaccio. The remaining 5 per cent is made up with vegetable juices and low-carbohydrate fruits, such as avocados. True aficionados, however, favour “high” meat (so called because of Vonderplanitz's claims that it inspires a natural high), with a small sideorder of rancid unpasteurised yoghurt and fermented vegetables.

“It took me a long time to try high meat because I was scared,” John says. “It does stink like hell and it tastes like an aged raw cheese. The first time I tried it I had to chase it down with a glass of mineral water and I did have a couple of days detoxing, with a bit of diarrhoea. But now my only regret is being squeamish for so long. I used to have all sorts of health problems but now I feel great. I've heard of a couple of people with parasites from it, but I've been doing it for seven years and I haven't died yet.”

John was right to be scared. “Advocating a diet that relies on eating raw meat is simply irresponsible and could be downright dangerous,” says Dr Andrew Wadge, the Food Standards Agency's chief scientist. “It is a simple fact that raw meat may contain harmful bacteria that can cause serious illness and even death. There are still around 500 deaths a year in the UK from food poisoning.”

But “high” primal diet followers say that the risks are worth it. Websites are filled with testimonials claiming that various ailments - including incurable cancers - were cured after a couple of months of rancid raw buffalo.

Vonderplanitz shrugs off any criticism, arguing that doctors have never observed the effects of his diet, while he has witnessed it “reverse 95 per cent of all diseases, while energy, mental clarity and emotional wellbeing are acquired within 30 days to two years”. He does, however, advocate eating rotting meat only if it is organic and free range, ideally grass-fed, and a period of preparing the body by eating fresh raw meat is advised.

A spokeswoman for the Centre for Human Nutrition Research in Cambridge says there has been no research into the possible benefits of eating raw or rotten meat, “because the health risk would be too great”.

But when it comes to squeezing into a bikini, it seems that some people will risk anything. “Fad diets like this are quick-fix solutions,” the spokeswoman says. “We think they'll solve all our problems, even though we know in the long term that they are not sustainable and have no real benefit.”

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Sounds like this idiot is a prime candidate for the Darwin Awards!!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
:lol: :lol: :lol: If he lives that long.Salmonella springs to mind along with botulism and other 'nasties'

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I suspect this diet is only valid if you kill and prepare your own meat. Buying it at the supermarket is a recipe for food borne illness
Hana
PS it's not for me, sounds revolting!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I'm sure my local Cafe has been preparing food to this spec for a long time - I think I'll give it a miss :D

Jay3109

Makes one despair really. No doubt as Dr Nic says, there will some idiot in California who will endorse it for all its worth - probably for some large percentage of the profits that are even now winging their way into Mr Unpronouncable's bank account. There truly are several born every minute if they think a dose of food poisoning is good for you...raw chicken for heaven's sake... :evil:

Dr. Nic

Well I'm going to give it a go!!! If that guy has been on it for 7 years he's either half cannibal, completely mental or he's discovered the holygrail of dieting!

Tonight on the menu is freshly caught rat marinated in a herb dressing; wood pigeon tartar plucked and gutted before reaching the table hopefully, with a rancid nettle salad (optional fox wee for drizzling), and for pudding a large bar of chocolate (I'm sure thats allowed plus I'll need it after all that puking!)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Dr. Nic said:
Well I'm going to give it a go!!! If that guy has been on it for 7 years he's either half cannibal, completely mental or he's discovered the holygrail of dieting!

Tonight on the menu is freshly caught rat marinated in a herb dressing; wood pigeon tartar plucked and gutted before reaching the table hopefully, with a rancid nettle salad (optional fox wee for drizzling), and for pudding a large bar of chocolate (I'm sure thats allowed plus I'll need it after all that puking!)

and they say diabetics are picky about food!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sixfoot

But the subtle point here is that is there is some truth in it. Long before we had refridgerators and vacuum pack how did we get grub.

Dave P

Aadrgon

I believe I read somewhere that in the middle ages they used a lot of spices to mask the taste of the rancid meat :roll:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
There was a programme on a while ago where someone ate out of date stuff,and seemed to get on OK.Some of it was well out of date and mouldy etc,not something I fancy trying.

Thirsty

What a loon! I quite like steak tartare, dry-cured ham, sushi and a few other uncooked meats such as biltong and beef jerky, but rotten raw chicken? The only thing that smells worse is rotten prawns.

Before refrigerators, people used many different methods to preserve food. Smoking, dry curing, meat safes and for the wealthy, ice-houses. Even eggs will stay fresh for months if the shells are coated with something that stops them from breathing, salted butter works well. Amazingly, the ancients worked out how to freeze food in the desert. Dig a hole and leave your food exposed during the night when temperatures drop to below freezing, and then thoroughly insulate it with straw during the day. Ta Dah! Roman ice-cream. There's no end to human ingenuity, he rambled.