uncertainty

bill811144

I have just been informed that I must have a bloodtest as a confirmation or not of diabetes.
I have no knowledge of the illness and don't know what happens if it is confirmed.
I would be grateful for any information.

Dennis many thanks for your reply and of course my thanks to anyone who will reply in the future.

This is the information you requested.
I had stents fitted because of angina caused by heart disease, after about 18 months I had to return for further surgery.
After a triple by-pass operation I recovered very quickly and did moderate fast walks every day to get fit again. About 10 months into my fitness routine I became lethargic, getting fit seemed not worth the bother.
I am now aged 66.
There is no known history of diabetes in my family.
For over 30 years I have worked out in the gym, ran marathons, drank and smoked and was never bothered by illness. I stopped smoking 15-20 years ago.
Tired and bored plus general feeling of unwellness caused me to visit a doctor.
That is a fair picture of the lead-up to my uncertainty.
bill 811144

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Bill and welcome to the forum.
If the diagnosis is that you have diabetes then what happens next will depend on many factors:
how high your blood sugar level is
what the blood sugar pattern has been over the last 3 months (there is a test they can do that tells this)
what type of diabetes you have (type-1, type-2 or one of the less common types)
what age you are
what your general health is like
and to some extent your doctor's own views on how diabetes should be treated.

Perhaps you could give us a bit more background info, like what age are you, what were the symptoms that led you to the surgery in the first place, whether there is any history of diabetes in your family.

I know it's easier to say than to do, but try not to worry too much about the outcome of the tests. High stress levels can actually raise blood sugar levels and give a false reading, but if it turns out to be diabetes then it's not the end of the world. There are many on the forum who have lived with diabetes for 40+ years and who intend to stay around for a lot longer yet. Let us know how your results go and we will do whatever we can to help you to understand the condition and to get on top of it.

Good luck.

Trinkwasser

Dennis said:
Perhaps you could give us a bit more background info, like what age are you, what were the symptoms that led you to the surgery in the first place, whether there is any history of diabetes in your family.

Sometimes a family history of diabetes may be concealed by cardiovascular disease, people who die before being diagnosed.

A cardiologist (can't remember who) calls Type 2 "a cardiovascular disease sometimes associated with high blood glucose"