understanding employer

garnock

Hi
Some interesting topics in this forum. Up until four years ago I was a Chief Officer and Second Master on board supply vessels in the North Sea. As my type 2 diabetes got worse I found it difficult to pass a yearly ENG 1 medical until in the end the Dr suggested that due to the type of work and stress involved in operating a supply vessel in the North sea he could no longer issue me with a current medical certificate. I then decided to move ashore and took up employment at a Maritime Museum. I have worked there for the past four years as a Technical Supervisor. Over that period I had been taking annual leave days to cover for Medical Appointments. Anyway to cut a long story short my line manager found out that I was using annual leave for these appointments. He basically told that with immediate effect I was NOT to use my annual leave for appointments. If I need the time off I take the time off on pay. No questions asked!!!!! Also during the wworking day if I feel I need a break I must take that break. I have just informed my Mangaer that from Monday I will be on insulin. He immediately asked is the museum should perhaps hold some insulin for me and reitterated all the above points. I would like to think that the attitude shown by the museum would be that of most employers

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My employer is the same, they have been very good re time off for appointments, they are booked as 'hospital leave' rather than annual leave (it's the same for everyone, not just with diabetes), and I've never had any complaints if they are in work time.

Actually thinking about it, I've never actually checked if this leave is paid or not, I think so by the amount on my payslip but am not 100% sure...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi garnock,

How refreshing it was to read your post! :) It restores some believe that not all employers are uncaring and nasty towards people with diabetes as we have seen on other threads recently.

Nigel