underweigt and low carb

alamis

Hi! I am an underweight pre diabete and I tried to follow a low carb diet and cut down on rice or bread but landed out to be more thinner and lost about 5 kgs.I was put on a low dose of metformin (250mg) after meals.My fasting blood sugar varies from 5.8 to 6.2. After a non low carb meal the spike can go up 10 mmol/l and after 2 hrs it can fall to 7 mmol/l.I would like to have some advice as how to prevent the 1 hr spike. thanks

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to replace the carbs with fats to prevent weight loss. Nuts and Advocados are good substitutes. Put butter on your veg. Drink full cream milk.

Forget everything you have ever been told about a low fat diet too.

hallii

My guess is that with figures like those you quote you must be a T2 diabetic, not very bad, but T2 nontheless.

There are other thin T2 on this forum, I am not amongst them but I keep on trying.

I did see a TV program that claimed it was not the visable fat that caused T2 but the internal fat aound the liver etc.
Maybe you are like this?

AS "Denise" says eat more calories as fat, eat plenty of protein, and eat plenty of lowish carb vegetables.
Eat some fruit but not to much. Check to see how many calories you have consumed each day and make a written record.

You need around 2500 calories a day to mantain weight more to increase it.

H

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Unless you are VERY underweight, I wouldn't worry. Lots of studies have shown that being underweight can extend life.
Otherwise, eat more fats. Fats without accompanying carbs are NOT harmful. Cheese is your friend!
Hana

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also am a skinny type 2 and I eat lots of veg which I put butter on I also eat some pulses .cheese ,eggs .lots of meat ,dark chocolate , fruit (not all as some spike my BGs) with cream on I have learned not to worry too much about my weight provided I feel ok and I keep my BGs under control.I eat to my meter so that I know how foods affect my BGs
CAROL

alamis

Thanks a lot for your responds.I am confused that a low carb would control bg but a lot of fat such as butter and cheese would affect my cholesterol level .my cholesterol is borderline.The issue therefore is how to do the trade off between bg and cholesterol.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of modern authors (eg. Dr Malcolm Kendrick, Barry Groves, Drs Phinney & Volek) contend that it is not fat that raises cholesterol - it is in fact carbohydrate, especially processed carbohydrate, that does. In Phinney & Voleks studies of low carbohydrate diets, their subjects cholesterol profiles improved once carbohydrates were lowered. So, by eating fat you will lower your triglycerides and raise your HDL (good) cholesterol.

Low carbohydrate controls BG because all carbohydrate is broken down to glucose in the blood. Control carbohydrate, control blood glucose.

If you are interested in learning more, check out:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

There is a great book that discusses the science - The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Art-Science ... 599&sr=8-1

Nik442

Hi, I didnt necessarily have to lose weight as although I wasnt underweight my BMI was fine and I've ended up losing nearly a stone in 2 months by low carbing. Eating more fat is a difficult mindset to get in to after years of being told not to. I remember seeing a thread on here about eating "healthy fats" - I'll have to look it up. I think it's true that internal body fat can be a factor in Type 2s. I had my first 3 month HB1AC on Thursday and expect the resuts tomorrow so it will be interesting to see what my Cholesterol value is now after following a low carb diet/higher fat diet for the past two months.

Nik

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My chol actually came down when I started to lower my carbs and eat more cream and butter and cheese
CAROL

Jo123

I have a tendency to lose weight when low carbing, my cholesterol was good before low carbing with very low triglyceries but since low carbing has changed for the worse, triglcerides still in normal range but higher and ldl higher. So I now stick to non saturated fats to keep my calories up. It is hard though.