Unexpected highs / no consistency

bonerp

I'm wondering whether I need a longer canula. Last night is a good example as went to bed after a low which I correct with some food, but then through the night woke to a high of 13. Corrected that, Did a bit extra (as I know through the night adjustment can be slow) but woke at 8 on 15.5.
Im not sure whether I'm having some set problems as this has happened few times recently.
What doesn't help is clearly corrections aren't being effective. It's not being today.
I've been using a pen instead to correct.
How do I know whether a longer canula might benefit me?
Any help would be appreciated as it's getting me down, constantly feel tired and want to stamp on my pump right now...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is it worth experimenting with a higher ISF (correction ratio) for around bedtime and also a higher insulin to carb ratio for evening meal?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm wondering whether I need a longer canula. Last night is a good example as went to bed after a low which I correct with some food, but then through the night woke to a high of 13. Corrected that, Did a bit extra (as I know through the night adjustment can be slow) but woke at 8 on 15.5.
Im not sure whether I'm having some set problems as this has happened few times recently.
What doesn't help is clearly corrections aren't being effective. It's not being today.
I've been using a pen instead to correct.
How do I know whether a longer canula might benefit me?
Any help would be appreciated as it's getting me down, constantly feel tired and want to stamp on my pump right now...

Have the problems just been with the box of cannulas you are using? If so try a different box. Also inspect the suspect cannula very carefully once removed and see if it's pinched on the end or if there are any kinks on the cannula. If they have pinched at the end then the cannula would be to long. Another option is to try an angled set. I have found the angled sets give a lot better absorption than the 90 degree sets.
Other option it's just your body not playing the game correctly as in being temperamental. If all options covered then do a basal test, but doubt that will help as the problem is random.
If you want to try different lengths of cannula ask your pump company for some samples or your dsn.

Reactions: 2 people