unexpected Hypos - honeymoon?

twinkle1980

Hiya

For the last few days I have had several unexpected hypos.

I ALWAYS check my sugars before and 2 hours after food, and these have been good. I average around 5.6 before meals, and at average 7.3 2 hours after.

I use novorapid, and levamir and I carb count.

However as I said, for the last few days I have had a few unexpected hypos. Yesterday on the school run (not a run, and only a 200mtr walk!) I tested my sugars at 2:30pm at 7.1, and yet at 3:15 I had a 2.6 hypo! The day before I had a nightime hypo and my bedtime sugars had been a lovely 6.3. Then I had this pattern this morning

5:00am - 5.4
5:30am - 7.6 (dawn phenomenon - I get this increase every morning)
breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled, 1 slice burgens soya linseed toast and butter
Novorapid - 1 unit (ratio 1:10 - being more conservative as usually breakfast I am less sensitive and use a 1:7.7 ratio)
8:00am - 7.2
8:50am - 3.4

Whats going on?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
More than likely due to the Honeymoon Period, I would speak with your diabetes team about re-adjusting your insulin doses as several hypo's over a few days is not acceptable.

Good luck!

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds like the honeymoon or the weather being less cold, i've been hypoing lots in the past 3 days (i'm pregnant so unsure if thats why) how long have you been diagnosed? 1 week after diagnosis i was taken fully off insulin and stayed that way for 6 months.