Uni/School results?

lynde89

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has got any results recently? & thought it would be nice to have somewhere to share!

I just got my final results from Uni, I got a First Class Honors in Building Services Engineering (BSc(hons)) so am pretty chuffed! Especially after getting married, buying our first home & working full time during it (as well as dealing with the diabetes!!) I'm mainly glad it's all done with....... Now just to get the diabetes where I want it!!

Has anyone else had any results? Uni? A levels? GCSEs? etc. We all know how hard it is to juggle it all sometimes!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not had any recently, but I got my Master with Distinction in Mechanical and Energy Engineering, and an award for my dissertation, this time last year.

It's an amazing feeling to know that you've done it and its over, especially for you having achieved so much along side it. Well done!

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Congratulations, you deserve it for the dedication and will power to get through.
My grand daughter has Chrons and had a major op for it last July, we were not sure she would be strong enough to go to Uni but she has passed her first year exams and is doing volunteer research at John Moores Uni this summer.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HazelD said:
Congratulations, you deserve it for the dedication and will power to get through.
My grand daughter has Chrons and had a major op for it last July, we were not sure she would be strong enough to go to Uni but she has passed her first year exams and is doing volunteer research at John Moores Uni this summer.

That's amazing. Big congratulations to her! 1 year down, only a few more to go :) it's amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I got a certificate for swimming a 100 meters once :thumbup:

lynde89

Seems like we might be in a similar career field Hale!! That's awesome!! How was the masters? I don't know if I want to do one yet, or what in (plus work don't want to pay for it!!) :eek:/. I was thinking something along the lines of energy, renewables or lighting if I didn't stick with exactly the same thing.

That's great Hazel, you must be very proud! I hope she recovers well from her op (but not too rushed!).

Congrats Sid! & I'm sure it went swimmingly ;)

Brilliant Mode & congrats!! Does that mean you are on to the next level now? (Sorry, I'm not too sure how it all works!) :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lynde89 said:
Seems like we might be in a similar career field Hale!! That's awesome!! How was the masters? I don't know if I want to do one yet, or what in (plus work don't want to pay for it!!) :eek:/. I was thinking something along the lines of energy, renewables or lighting if I didn't stick with exactly the same thing.

Well I'm in Scotland, so we do things very differently. I did mine as an undergraduate masters, so that means I don't have a bachelors in anything, only the masters. It took me 5 years of uni to get it and the government paid!

We studied with the bachelors students for the first 4 years and in all honesty I found the 5th year (which is essentially your masters) the easiest. I think that was because it was more tailored to what I wanted.

I had a renewable energy technologies module which was my favourite, but I sold my soul and now work in oil and gas purely because that is where the work is!

EDIT: fixed some typos!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Completed my apprenticeship! :clap:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lynde89 said:
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has got any results recently? & thought it would be nice to have somewhere to share!

I just got my final results from Uni, I got a First Class Honors in Building Services Engineering (BSc(hons)) so am pretty chuffed! Especially after getting married, buying our first home & working full time during it (as well as dealing with the diabetes!!) I'm mainly glad it's all done with....... Now just to get the diabetes where I want it!!

Has anyone else had any results? Uni? A levels? GCSEs? etc. We all know how hard it is to juggle it all sometimes!

All things considered well done lynde89 :clap:

Youngest is awaiting his GCSE results before going into 6th form, they better be good as I didn't see him put much study time in at home :roll:

LittleWolf

I got top results in every module except I missed one deadline for an essay because I was in hospital and one because I was in the room you have to hand it in before the deadline but the queue was too large for the one receptionist to put a stamp on it and take it.

Now all my work counts for nothing and I have to redo TWO ENTIRE MODULES because of two missing little essays during the holiday and not allowed to reuse any material from what I handed in already.

:(

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
noblehead said:
Youngest is awaiting his GCSE results before going into 6th form, they better be good as I didn't see him put much study time in at home :roll:
I didn't study for a single one of my GCSEs and still came out with good results :lol: good luck to your son, hope he does as well as he hopes for.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Giverny said:
I didn't study for a single one of my GCSEs and still came out with good results :lol: good luck to your son, hope he does as well as he hopes for.

Thanks Giverny, he did well in his mock exam results so should be fine :)..........got the big stick waiting if he doesn't.... :twisted:

LittleWolf

I didn't study for my GCSEs either. I read the textbook in class throughout the year and everyone else messes around, then tries to learn everything in the month before the exam calling it 'revision'. That's not learning. That's trying to memorise and regurgitate facts just to pass an exam then having it all fall out of your head because you didn't actually learn and truly understand the information in the first place...

God I hate the educational system. And it's always the most gifted pupils who fail the hardest and lose motivation.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
LittleWolf said:
God I hate the educational system. And it's always the most gifted pupils who fail the hardest and lose motivation.
Agreed! I was always quite bright at school but was frustrated as I felt that I was being held back all the time. The tipping point for me is when my school was letting people volunteer themselves for 'fast track' English. This basically meant they would complete 2 years worth of coursework and exams within just a year. I applied but was denied the opportunity because of my 'poor behaviour' in English lessons. I wasn't poorly behaved at all, we just had a terrible teacher who gave us all horrendously uninspiring work to complete and expected us to do so in silence. If I even piped up and asked someone next to me a question about the work, I'd be screamed at for being 'disruptive'.

It was this teacher who really let me down. I believe I could have easily picked up an A* in both English language & English literature if it wasn't for him. Thankfully though, I had 2 excellent English teachers in my last year at school who really inspired me and nurtured my talents. I came out in the end with grade As in both language and literature. Not what I had hoped for, but hey ho! You win some, you lose some :lol:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Giverny said:
LittleWolf said:
Agreed! I was always quite bright at school but was frustrated as I felt that I was being held back all the time. The tipping point for me is when my school was letting people volunteer themselves for 'fast track' English. This basically meant they would complete 2 years worth of coursework and exams within just a year. I applied but was denied the opportunity because of my 'poor behaviour' in English lessons. I wasn't poorly behaved at all, we just had a terrible teacher who gave us all horrendously uninspiring work to complete and expected us to do so in silence. If I even piped up and asked someone next to me a question about the work, I'd be screamed at for being 'disruptive'.

It was this teacher who really let me down. I believe I could have easily picked up an A* in both English language & English literature if it wasn't for him. Thankfully though, I had 2 excellent English teachers in my last year at school who really inspired me and nurtured my talents. I came out in the end with grade As in both language and literature. Not what I had hoped for, but hey ho! You win some, you lose some :lol:

Scotland we use a slightly different system, but the essentials are the same. I was doing my 8 standard grades and and I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet, but I'm fairly bright and always worked hard. My chemistry teacher decided (genuinely believe he mixed me up with another pupil) that I was struggling with the standard grade and that I wasn't able to sit Higher Level the next year. Exams came around and I got a 1 in standard grade (the highest mark) so I kicked up a stink and insisted on doing higher. I eventually got a B in it, DESPITE taking time off for illness throughout the year!

Teachers just don't take the time to get to know their pupils!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
It's a real shame people are left with that kind of impression about teachers. My parents both work in education and have done for much of their working lives and thankfully they are both very much dedicated to their jobs and the children they work with. My Dad is a headmaster and knows all his pupils very well. He knows their strengths, weaknesses and interests and is keen to shape the curriculum in his school around these. The government is holding him back though, and it's a real shame that someone so genuinely interested in making education better for everyone is restricted from doing so :(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Giverny said:
It's a real shame people are left with that kind of impression about teachers. My parents both work in education and have done for much of their working lives and thankfully they are both very much dedicated to their jobs and the children they work with. My Dad is a headmaster and knows all his pupils very well. He knows their strengths, weaknesses and interests and is keen to shape the curriculum in his school around these. The government is holding him back though, and it's a real shame that someone so genuinely interested in making education better for everyone is restricted from doing so :(

I should have explained myself more. I lived in a "nice" area and went to a "nice" school. It was expected of you to go to uni, mostly to study medicine, law or some form of engineering. Those who weren't going to do well were ditched pretty early on. Swept to the side and ignored. They would rather have not taken the risk with me possibly getting a C than let me continue in the class. So much focus is on the final grade than on helping students expand their knowledge.

In my 1st two years of secondary school we had a fantastic head teacher. There are over 2000 pupils in the school and he knew many by name and seemed to genuinely care. But he moved on to a new job and we got a new woman who pushed the grades, and in my opinion ruined the school. She's still there, and my cousins attend now and say its awful.

I wanted to go into teaching myself (music teaching), but was discouraged from it by the school and pretty much funnelled into engineering. Yes, I do enjoy it and have a fantastic job, but I wish is stuck to my guns and done my music. If it was the wrong career choice I think it should have been my own mistake to make and learn from!