1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

United Kingdom - Freestyle Libre 3 - Whatever Happened to the Freestyle Libre 2?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by DavidDK, Sep 29, 2020.

1. DavidDK

DavidDK Type 1 · Active Member

Today's internet news cycle reports that Abbott has received a "CE" mark for the third generation of its product: the Freestyle Libre 3. The news reports suggest the Libre 3 is a continuous glucose monitor that will send data every minute via software to a mobile phone.

The news reports indicate the Freestyle Libre 3 will be rolled out throughout Europe in the coming months.

The news articles also hint that the Freestyle Libre 3 will be priced similarly to the first generation Freestyle Libre.

United Kingdom users of Abbott's first generation Freestyle Libre were told the same thing about the Freestyle Libre 2 which is still unavailable in the UK almost 2 years later.

Will United Kingdom users be able to use the Freestyle Libre 2 and the Freestyle Libre 3 ever?

If so when?

Are we going to have to wait until 2022 at the earliest before being given access to the Freestyle Libre 3?

Covid 19 notwithstanding, why is UK availability of the new iterations of the Freestyle Libre taking so long?

Are the MHRA or NHS holding up the release of these products? If so, why?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I saw the news about this, and wondered the same things as you. Maybe the NHS haven't 'done a deal' yet on libre 3, or could it be to do with Brexit perhaps, but who knows?!

3. Damian Adams

Damian Adams Type 2 · Newbie

With the problems covid has to blood suger you would have thought the government could have fast tracked the sensor for UK use given its ce approval, push your mp's to ask why.

4. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I work in R+D for a company that makes medical devices and there can be quite a long time between receiving regulatory clearance and getting a product to market.

Having said that, if you visit the Abbott website then the Libre 2 is available to order and has been for a couple of months now.

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/#

Post Brexit, I am not sure if the UK is going to accept the CE mark on any Libre 3 device, it may require further approval with the new UKCA mark being applied and that will most likely slow down it's roll out.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. DavidDK

An agreement was reached between the NHS and Abbott that the Freestyle Libre 2 would be available on prescription to NHS funded patients from November 2020.

The Freestyle Libre 2 was supposed to be available for use from January 2021 and all those NHS funded patients who were prescribed the first generation product are eligible to be switched over to the Freestyle Libre 2 once whomever is responsible for prescribing the sensors (prescribing GPs) systems have been updated.

At the moment the switchover appears to be happening slowly, not just because of Covid 19, but because clinical commissioning groups have to sign off on allowing the Freestyle Libre 2 to be prescribed.

The Freestyle Libre 2 is indeed available directly from Abbott for those who are paying for it themselves.

Yes, now that the UK has left the EU, Abbott will have to obtain a UKCA mark for the Freestyle Libre 3, but that won't be too onerous, nor take too long. Most of the time to availability will be taken up by Abbott persuading the NHS to adopt the Libre 3 for its patients, and then getting CCG's to authorise prescribing clinicians to prescribe it.

6. Damian Adams

I don't think I will ever get NHS free sensors, I am already using libre two sensors when I can afford them. I was more interested in when they would be on general sale. Type 2 don't get free sensors.
    Regards
    Damian

7. DavidDK

Hello Damian. I'm not sure I understand your query.

As I said above, anyone in the UK can buy Freestyle Libre 2 sensors today from Abbott's website if they want to.

8. Damian Adams

Question was about Libre 3 not Libre 2, I'm already using a libre2 when I can afford one. I does not make sense to have a 2 and 3 at the same price on the market when they eventually srrive.

9. DavidDK

OK, thanks.

Apart from the manufacturer (and the NHS) no one can know for sure, but it took roughly two years for the Freestyle Libre 2 to become available in the UK (I think it first became available in Germany in 2018), so that might be a guide as to when we might expect the Freestyle Libre 3.

I did see something on the internet which suggested the Freestyle Libre 3 might be available in the UK later this year, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook