Unusual blood pressure results.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I haven't taken my blood pressure for about 3 weeks.

When I first got my monitor I was checking everyday and as my results are always about the same I haven't been checking so much recently.

I just checked it putting the cuff on my left arm as usual and it came up at 140 over 81.

My heart sank as this was the result when I had my blood pressure done at my first meeting with my Diabetic nurse back in June.

That's why I bought the monitor as I thought that was a bit high and my first reading was 125 over 80 which I was much happier with.
Someone on here mentioned the higher reading could have been due to 'white coat syndrome'. That sounded possible as I always seem to get a bit stressed when I see my doctor.

Anyway,I thought I would try my right arm. (My nurse always does my right arm anyway) And this time it was 131 over 81.

Obviously I am happier with that reading but I have always used my left arm as I'm sure I read somewhere that your heart is on the left so you should test using your left arm.

Which arm do you use?

I am a bit confused over this.

Lloyds monitor. Cheap but good and came 2nd in a Which review against a much more expensive machine.( Came 2nd in accuracy)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Always use the same arm and let the machine store the results.
Although 140/80 is not classed as high, it is at the upper limit of acceptable and I have a feeling it was most probably brought on by the unobserved/felt stress of suddeenly realising you had gone three weeks without a single measurement. Try again tomorrow when you know you are fully relaxed.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Hobs said:
Always use the same arm and let the machine store the results.
Although 140/80 is not classed as high, it is at the upper limit of acceptable and I have a feeling it was most probably brought on by the unobserved/felt stress of suddeenly realising you had gone three weeks without a single measurement. Try again tomorrow when you know you are fully relaxed.

Thanks for that Hobs.

Yes,I think you're right there.

I will check tomorrow with my left arm.

Just checked it again with the left arm and it was 138 over 80 so it's going in the right direction....

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Even with 138/80 I would try my best (even with doc's help from some pills) to get it down even lower.
I'm 70 and with pills I usually run at 125/65-70 which always makes my GP happy :D when he fills his chart in :thumbup: ... without the candesarten 16mg and amlodipine 5mg it would run at around 160/90 so the pills are most appreciated :clap:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
must be left arm, dont take it after food, dont talk while taking in, dont have your legs raised, put the cuff on the sit and relax for a while then casually hit go, so many thing effect bp, ive tested it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Andy12345 said:
im 110/65 avg. at home
140/90 in surgery

its infuriating, they keep trying to up bp meds

There's a well known "white coat syndrome" that causes this, they really should have you do a 24hour BP monitoring test before they change your meds if they are aware of your home test results. I had this done and they decided my BP was actually normal outside the doctors surgery.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thanks, i told the doctor this is the case, well youve heard the term talking to a brick wall? i had to argue not to increase the meds, the negotiation ended with her saying ok we will see how it goes lol, i know how it goes, i take it most nights and some mornings, sigh

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Since I bought the machine the lowest result is 88 over 80. (Bit strange was that one)

Highest has been 152 ( Eeekkk !)

But the the average seems to be 124 over 80 and pulse averages out at 80.

That isn't high is it?

My nurse didn't bat an eyelid when my result was 140 over 80......

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
pulse is a weird one, mine is 50 the wifes is 80 dunno which is right or even if there is a right, i go dizzy when i stand so i took it and stood up, i cant remember what it was now 90/60 or something like that , but that passed through the doctor like i hadnt said it so i suppose thats ok lol

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Boris Becker had a really low heartrate even when playing tennis.

I would say yours at 50 is an excellent reading Andy but I could be wrong....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
zolabud said:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Boris Becker had a really low heartrate even when playing tennis.

I believe the fitter you are the lower the pulse. I always get a lower bp reading from my right arm than I do for the left, I was told to take a bp reading from the arm that gives a higher reading so therefore always take it from the left, like many others I get a touch of WCS so always take my own readings along for gp and clinic appointments.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Normal resting pulse in an adult is 60 - 80 beats per minute. However, anyone athletic can have a normal resting pulse of as low as 40bpm.
I've always had a high resting heart rate of 90bpm, which lowered to about 80bpm with recent weight loss and a significant increase in cardio exercise. However, Nurse has insisted that I must go on blood pressure medication. 2 days in to my medication and my heart rate is a "steady" 105bpm.
Not actually sure whether that reducing a "high" blood pressure of 135/85 is worth it if it sends my heart into tachycardia!