Unusual Metformin side-effects.

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
Two years ago, I was put on Metformin (slow release) tablets for a short period of time; these were suspected of causing Gastric & Duodenal inflammation & very severe Gastric & Duodenal bleeding, following a Gastroscopy during which eight biopsies were taken. I lost so much blood that I was rushed back to hospital 12 hours later for a blood transfusion & another procedure to stop the bleeding. I immediately discontinued the Metformin.

Recently a consultant at the same hospital ( :roll: ) strongly implored me to re-start Metformin & gradually increase to the maximum dose.

Within a couple of weeks, I was overwhelmed with massive abdominal pain & recurrent diarhoea (no medication would stop it). I also started getting very severe irregular heartbeats (Cardiac Arrhythmia), including periods of Bradycardia (beating at about 40 beats per minute instead of my normal 95 beats per minute). During this period, I co-incidentally had routine blood tests at my GP surgery, including a Liver Function test. That same day, I STOPPED taking the Metformin (I'm on Insulin too). Two days later, my GP called me in to see him urgently; there he told me that I had Hepatitis (inflammation of the Liver); he agreed that I should not take the Metformin.

1 week later, all my symptoms had stopped. NO DIARRHOEA & NO CARDIAC ARRHYTHMIA. A further blood test showed that I had NO HEPATITIS any more! My GP told me that "my body cannot tolerate Metformin & that I should never take it again, under any circumstances."

So, although most people benefit from Metformin & only have mild side-effects, it CAN cause:
1. Severe Diarrhoea
2. Gastric & Duodenal inflammation
3.Cardiac Arrhythmia & Bradycardia
4. Hepatitis

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya.

It seems as though your liver cannot cope with drugs, but as you say, where do you go from here?

Although not provided by the NHS, when neither metformin, insulin or even Byetta [from which I too had extreme digestive issues and eventually collapse, so can sympathise] had lowered my BG enough, in desperation I bought a batch of Vitabase Blood Sugar Formula from the States. Within hours of taking the first dose they had brought my BG level down from up in double figures (12,13 or more) to 7.4. From then on I was able to keep it in or around normal range as long as I watched my carb intake. Those capsules did what none of the drugs had. I still took the Metformin and insulin but it was the capsules doing most of the work!

They contain all-natural ingredients - herbs, spices, vitamins and amino acids that are renowned for lowering blood sugar, and are pretty reasonable for what they are compared to other brands - the shipping cost is quite steep though. I just wish I could get them on the National Health!

I took them for about a year but I'm not taking them at the moment because being very low-carb has managed to keep my BG fairly low on the Metformin and the little insulin I need.

Have you tried low-carbing as an option? Your levels don't seem excessively high so it might be enough to keep your BG down. Quite a lot of us on here are having good success with it.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Ali.

From then on I was able to keep it in or around normal range as long as I watched my carb intake. Those capsules did what none of the drugs had. I still took the Metformin and insulin but it was the capsules doing most of the work.

Puzzled. :?
If you were 'watching your carb intake' and 'still took Metformin and Insulin', how on earth would you know it was the capsules 'doing most of the work ?' Surely, all those things combined would ALL have been doing the work. How would you quantify which is doing more than the other ?

Just a thought ? :D

oldjake

What type of Hepatitis have you got? My understanding is that Hepatitis is a virus and can't be 'caused'. If you do some research you'll probably find that the opposite is true and that the Hepatitis contributes to the diabetes.

I'm a haemophiliac with Hepatitis C and type 2 diabetes, by the way.

Regards

Andy

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
oldjake said:
What type of Hepatitis have you got? My understanding is that Hepatitis is a virus and can't be 'caused'. If you do some research you'll probably find that the opposite is true and that the Hepatitis contributes to the diabetes.

I'm a haemophiliac with Hepatitis C and type 2 diabetes, by the way.

Regards

Andy
"Hepatitis" just means "inflammation of the liver" ("itis" on the end of any word, means "inflammation of"). Many things can inflame the liver, including the Hepatitis A virus, the Hepatitis B virus, the Hepatitis C virus, the Hepatitis D virus, the Hepatitis E virus and in my case, Metformin. I do not have a viral infection of my liver. :D

Here is the "Wikipedia" definition of Hepatitis:

Hepatitis (plural hepatitides) implies injury to the liver characterized by the presence of inflammatory cells in the tissue of the organ. The name is from ancient Greek hepar (ἧπαρ), the root being hepat- (ἡπατ-), meaning liver, and suffix -itis, meaning "inflammation" (c. 1727)[1]. The condition can be self-limiting, healing on its own, or can progress to scarring of the liver. Hepatitis is acute when it lasts less than six months and chronic when it persists longer. A group of viruses known as the hepatitis viruses cause most cases of liver damage worldwide. Hepatitis can also be due to toxins (notably alcohol), other infections or from autoimmune process. It may run a subclinical course when the affected person may not feel ill. The patient becomes unwell and symptomatic when the disease impairs liver functions that include, among other things, removal of harmful substances, regulation of blood composition, and production of bile to help digestion.

berty143

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I have also got bradycardia and my heart rate is constantly up and down all over the place. I am currently only on 2 x 500 mg per day but I’m thinking of stopping them to see if things improve.
My heart can go from 52bpm - 93bpm randomly at rest

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I have also got bradycardia and my heart rate is constantly up and down all over the place. I am currently only on 2 x 500 mg per day but I’m thinking of stopping them to see if things improve.
My heart can go from 52bpm - 93bpm randomly at rest
Hi Berty
This thread is from 8 years ago so you probably won't get a response from the original posters