Unwanted Weight Loss...

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again,
Had my review today. My latest HbA1c results are 7.2, (down from 7.8 two months ago) :)

Although she was pleased that the figures were slightly lower, she obviously wants those figures lower than that and I believe that lower figures are possible next time as my recent Bg readings have been much improved...(5.8 fasting / 5.4 2hours + after breakfast. today) compared with averages of 7 or 8 several weeks ago.
She mentioned the Metformin :roll: and at that point I admitted that they were still in their box at home, untouched....
After a short , not too serious, lecture about how the tablets would help me, etc...She was happy (surprisingly) for me to continue with the 'trial' of diet control only until my next review, (Aug) , providing that I increase my 'carbs' intake (a little) each day because I've lost about 8 or 9 lbs in weight, which I can only assume is due to my 'lower carb' meals over the past 7 weeks or so.

My weight is currently just over 9 stone, (dressed) BMI around 22.5

I'm currently consuming around 100g/110g of carbs per day. She says that's not enough to maintain my weight at my normal level of closer to almost 10 stone, (dressed)... with a BMI of 24.

I'm obviously reluctant to seriously increase the amount of 'carbs' at this stage in case I lose the 'lower Bg readings' and end up back where I started.

Any advice on (some) weight gain, yet maintaining steady Bg readings, without starting my medication, would be appreciated......That's a challenge! :?

Regards,

Malc.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Malc

It sounds like you had a good meeting with your HCP, and great that she's actually listening to you and happy for you to continue with diet-only for a while at least. Congratulations on the HbA1c as well - every little helps!

To stop yourself losing weight you should up your calorie intake a bit. The most calorie-dense low carb foods are fat and protein, in that order. So maybe a bit more cheese, some butter on your low-carb veg, cream on your low-carb berries - etc. Leave the fat on that nice pork chop. See how that works. You don't have to go mad - 1oz mature cheddar has about 100 calories. Once again - every little helps!

Do you have scales at home? Weighing once a week allows you to keep your eye on things - I weigh on a Monday, straight after my shower in the morning. Don't weigh any more than that, though - weight varies so much on a day-to-day, hour-by-hour basis. Except mine, of course - well stuck at the moment! :roll:

Keep up the good work!

Viv 8)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with Viv I am a very skinny type2 trying to gain weight . Cheese cream and butter are good also oily fish. I put cream in my soup and I can manage a few lentils and beans in soup but you need to test as these can put BGs up .By the way I have no problems with high cholesterol with this diet.
CAROL

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I forgot to mention mayonnaise! I use Hellman's Real - only 1.3g of carb per 100g, yet 722 calories.

100g is a LOT of mayonnaise!

Viv 8)

Unbeliever

I can understand that the Nurse would not like you to coninue losing weight rapidly Mal but do you need to worry much right now?

I was strictly enjoined not to lose weight when i was first diagnosed but taking the usual dietary advice and then medication meant that the it was unecessary!o worry about weight loss after a few years.

I am now back on the diet i had followed for years before diagnosis . I am not yet back to my original weight because I am only able to stop the glimepirides slowly.

Losing weight should help with your BG surely? If you are still wihin the BMI range isn't that OK?

Not wishing o argue with the HCP just wanting o understand! :D

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies/ advice. It's really appreciated. I'll certainly give it a try, as I love mayonnaise, (and cheddar cheese)... :D

Thinking back to my meeting on Friday, the Dn mentioned my 'low' daily intake of 'Calories' , suggesting that it was the reason for my weight-loss. However, I was talking to her about my 'Carbs' intake and, to be honest, I wasn't able to compare the two sets of figures at the time...
....I must read more about 'Calories' versus 'Carbs'.

In answer to 'Unbeliever', my weight has, for many years, stayed fairly steady at just above 9 and a half stone, so for me to have lost over half a stone in just two months was a concern both for myself and my wife... The Dn also noticed the loss, as I was weighed on both visits and whilst my weight is still within the (lower) BMI range (and I wouldn't be too concerned if it stayed at or just above this level), none of us would want it to drop any further just to maintain/improve my current Bg readings.

It does seem ironic, don't you think, that so many people on here are desperate to shed a few pounds and here am I trying to find out how not to!

It's a funny old world... :roll:

Regards, :)
Malc.

Unbeliever

Thanks Malc, thught that must be the case. You wouldn't want to continue losing weight at that rate as you were already of a healthy weight. Probably is the carbs,
I recently lost a stone in 6 weeks by reducing carbs - although I ate very sparingly in general.
II would like to lose another half a stone to take me back o my pre-diagnosis levels but I am obviously no going o lose any more unil my medication is reduced further.
You don't have this obviously so may well continue to shrink ata rate of knots.
Hope you enjoy the cream etc! :D

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again,
I've just noticed that Viv lives in Wensleydale. I wondered why she was promoting cheese... :lol:
Although, to be fair, it WAS 'Cheddar' that was mentioned! :)

Regards...
Malc. :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Cheddar was just an example :lol: 'cos most people eat it.

At the moment I'm on Cornish Yarg.

Yes, it really isn't fair that weight falls off people who don't want it to, and hangs on to those of us who need to get rid of it :roll:

It might be worth just having a look at how many calories you've been consuming, just to see, but don't worry about them too much. As a reasonably active male you should be on about 2500 per day, I think. Just sneak in that extra bit of mayo and butter on your veg - as Carty said earlier, it won't hurt your cholesterol levels. Good mayo is only olive oil and eggs, anyway - mostly mono-unsaturated fat.

Viv 8)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I rapidly lost 1/2 stone in the few months before being diagnosed which has indicated to me that my 'Type 2' isn't necesarily due to insulin resistance as such hence trying to put the weight back on by eating more carbs wasn't for me the optimum way forward. I would be wary about increasing your carbs without measuring your BS to see what effect it has. As others have said, keep your calorie intake up by eating more protein or fatty foods - obviously with unsaturated fat etc where possible. When I have tried to put my 1/2 stone back on with carbs my BS has skyrocketed. I now have egg & bacon for breakfast plus homemade muesli with oats etc but no sugar. I have low fat cheese, corned beef, ham etc for lunch and low GI bread. My main meal is a good balance but with the carb level kept low'ish. I would rather try to keep my BS at the right level and be underweight rather than be Mr average weight and have the damage high BS can do.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Malc,

Increasing your fat uptake may be a way to stop your weight drop, look for foods containing the heart healthy unsaturated fats rather than saturated as this will benefit your long-term health.

Take a read of the following for a brief explanation:

http://www.healthcastle.com/goodfats-badfats.shtml

Nigel