Update on my pre-diabetes review.

calumcco

I got the results of my pre-diabetes review yesterday.
My Glucose Fasting level has gone back up to a diabetic level again of 7.3mmo/l and I have to wait until Monday to see my GP for him to tell me what my average blood sugar level has been with regards to my HbA1c test as the receptionist told me she couldn't give me this information.
I wonder why on earth my Glucose Fasting test results are fluctuating so much?
What could be causing this?
I will give you my previous results below.

September 2013 - 7.9mmo/l - Glucose Fasting.
October 2013 - 6.7mmo/l - Glucose Fasting.
December 2013 - 6.8mmo/l, 6.7mmo/l and 4.8mmo/l - Oral Glucose Tolerance Test - 3 samples taken over a 2 hour period.
June 2014 - 7.3mmo/l - Glucose Fasting.

* I've been told that 2 samples of over 7.0mmo/l will result in diabetes being confirmed? Will this apply to me as my 2 levels of over 7.0mmo/l were 9 months apart and in between the levels were just below the 7.0mmo/l barrier?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

My fasting BG can fluctuate over a single morning from the 5s to the 8s, but because I tested at 6.5 and 7.5 on two tests at the doctors, I don't have a diagnosis.

Have you heard of the Dawn Phenomenon? If not, google it. There is a mine of info out there, which most doctors seem to ignore.

I find that stress has the biggest effect on my fasting BG, with sleep deprivation, physical exertion and food the day before all having an impact.

If you really want to find out what is happening to your fasting levels then the best option is to buy your own meter (I use the Codefree because it's the cheapest!). The doctors simply won't be able, or willing, to provide the number of tests you need to track down the answer.