UPDATE ON TURMERIC

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning All. Ref my previous message on Tumeric, I have now acquired some ginger and turmeric tablets from a friend who came from the UK. Turmeric either in dinner, or in tablet form DOES lower blood sugar, I have been experimenting now for a few days. For example my blood this morning was 88 (4.8) and I took two tablets and within half an hour it had come down to 70.(this was no other medicines at the time or food, just the tablets) I am constantly checking my blood as I know from last week when I took too much it went below 60, so do be careful. But I believe as long as I stick to a strict regime of checking my blood, I will soon have a good formular, and hopefully, soon come off the meds, as Turmeric seems to do a much better job. These tables are made by fitness Pharma, ginger with Turmeric, 500 mg of each in each tablet, and 2 a day.

A1c8

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Turmeric is great for so many things. Very prevalent in auyreda medicine and I'm glad it's working for you.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmmm interesting.. I don't do suplimental tabs.

But have eaten the odd recipe with turmeric. There have been ocaisions when my bloods dropped silly. In these incidents, I put it down to over calculating the bolus? (It happens.) But the drop was a little too soon after eating in my experience..

Is it possible tumeric could stop/delay "liver dump".? Working a little like "Metformin"?

(Insulin dependant T1. I don't take Metformin.)

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

But have eaten the odd recipe with turmeric. There have been ocaisions when my bloods dropped silly. In these incidents, I put it down to over calculating the bolus? (It happens.) But the drop was a little too soon after eating in my experience..

Is it possible tumeric could stop/delay "liver dump".? Working a little like "Metformin"?

Oh maybe, yes. I know there are doubting toms on here (not you!) but I have test all week withthis and every single time it brings my blood sugar down, but a lot more than metroformin. There are many articles on the Internet on this subject too.

Reactions: 1spuds

Foxy in Cyprus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am also feeding it to my German Shepherd, there's a massive amount on the nett about its benefits for dogs too.!:)

Reactions: 1spuds

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also feeding it to my German Shepherd, there's a massive amount on the nett about its benefits for dogs too.!:)

To be honest. Dogs convert protein for what they need.. It would be easier to cut the buiscuit & veg in a dog's diet..

"Doubting Thomas".? I have an open mind. However. To be fair, based on my own experience with tumeric I wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions without looking at stuff like did I change to a fresh cartridge of insulin prior to bolusing? The accuracy of the meter? To name a few uncontrolled variables.. Sort of thing.. ;) That said. There's no harm in a bit of tumeric!

RogerRam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, live in France now & just found these on Amazon France

"Swanson Gingembre & Curcuma 600mg, 60 gélules - 300mg de Racine de Gingembre (Zingiber Officinale) + 300mg de Curcuma Longa - Digestion, Brûle-graisses, Nausées & Maux de Ventre (Full Spectrum Ginger & Turmeric capsules)"

Certainly worth a try for me. BS's a bit high at the moment due to a cold & lack of daily exercise. I'll see what it does!

All the best,

Roger

RogerRam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops, not posted here for ages, & need to say that my name is due to being a doctor of psychotherapy practice in UK & supporting Derby County- the Rams.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Use turmeric sometimes when cooking, but not massive amounts. No noticed any effect on BG.

During the very hot weather here, I was sweating lot and after eating turmeric, my sheets went bright yellow where they had been in contact with my back.

Freaked, I searched online. Eventually, I learned that curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, can only be eliminated from the body by sweat.

RogerRam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crikey, Celeriac, I'll have to watch out for that. Maybe next year it's not very warm here at the moment, of course. We're about an hour away from Bordeaux-Entre Deux Mers.

(Picture shows my first bike ride in over a year, shattered my tib & fib in April 2014, think Rocco our miniature schnauzer was a bit mystified...)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

There's a fair amount of research that can be found on Turmeric. Digging through, I found this piece that talks about Turmeric stopping prediabetes progressing to T2: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/11/2121.full

If you read through many of the articles, there are references to this "Curcumin is involved in activating of enzymes in liver, which are associated with glycolysis, gluconeogenic, and lipid metabolic process ", so I'd suggest you may be right @Jaylee.

Reactions: 4 people

Aphorism

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning All. Ref my previous message on Tumeric, I have now acquired some ginger and turmeric tablets from a friend who came from the UK. Turmeric either in dinner, or in tablet form DOES lower blood sugar, I have been experimenting now for a few days. For example my blood this morning was 88 (4.8) and I took two tablets and within half an hour it had come down to 70.(this was no other medicines at the time or food, just the tablets) I am constantly checking my blood as I know from last week when I took too much it went below 60, so do be careful. But I believe as long as I stick to a strict regime of checking my blood, I will soon have a good formular, and hopefully, soon come off the meds, as Turmeric seems to do a much better job. These tables are made by fitness Pharma, ginger with Turmeric, 500 mg of each in each tablet, and 2 a day.

Just a suggestion; powdered turmeric ingested is not very well absorbed by the gut. However, the liquid extract, as supplied by some traders, including Healthspan, is highly absorbed, as is turmeric that has been used in cooked dishes. A bit like raw and cooked tomatoes, where the health benefits come from the cooked form.

Reactions: Fo

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a suggestion; powdered turmeric ingested is not very well absorbed by the gut. However, the liquid extract, as supplied by some traders, including Healthspan, is highly absorbed, as is turmeric that has been used in cooked dishes. A bit like raw and cooked tomatoes, where the health benefits come from the cooked form.
Hello
What form is best to take turmeric? Powder, tablet, fresh, raw? Thank you

Paperbooy

You can increase absorption rate by adding pepper or some type of vegable fat. Turmeric milk with pepper and cumin seed is a great recipe