1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Urine bright orange

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by RomaFree, Dec 20, 2012.

1. RomaFree

RomaFree · Member

My husband is the diabetic, not myself but he does not go on the internet. He is Type 2, was on Metformin until recently when he had kidney infection that shot his blood sugar levels up sky high and he was put on insulin in hospital (10 days).
    He now home since a few days...has told me of orange urine, tonight (not AM as he told diabetic nurse the other day, she saw no abnormalities in that?)... I did actually see it :roll: It was VERY orange?? :crazy:
    He is now off all AB'setc, no pills at all ... only insulin (which been increased in last few days but he had this prior to increase too?)... can anyone advise?? Thank you...
    ps any searches re this go for urine "testing"....N/A ....thx

2. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

I understand that the colour of urine is often to do with hydration. If you aren't drinking enough it will be darker.
    http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesse ... eck-urine/
    Before I was diagnosed with T1 and had very high glucose levels, I was producing a lot of urine, it was clear, like water because I was al,so drinking huge amounts.

3. Pastell

Pastell · Member

I would say have a word with your HCP, from my experience, urine colour can mean nothing, but, sometimes can mean something very serious, actual colour is relatively meaningless.

4. Hobs

Hobs Type 2 · Master

There is a bactericidal antibiotic that can dye the urine orange and as he had an infection, this might be the answer. Even so, best check with your doctor asap just to make sure

5. Marvin

Marvin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Urine can be a wide range of colours for all sorts of unimportant reasons as indicated by previous answers. I have known my urine to be orange, and in my case it was due to a small amount of blood in it, on one occasion as a result of prostate trouble, and another time due to surgical intervention to treat kidney stones. In your husbands case it could be something entirely different, but best get it checked out by the doctor; but in the meantime don't be too alarmed.....if it is caused by the presence of blood it could only be a very small amount... any more and the urine would be very definitely red ( I know that from my own bitter experience, too!).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook