Urine bright orange

RomaFree

My husband is the diabetic, not myself but he does not go on the internet. He is Type 2, was on Metformin until recently when he had kidney infection that shot his blood sugar levels up sky high and he was put on insulin in hospital (10 days).
He now home since a few days...has told me of orange urine, tonight (not AM as he told diabetic nurse the other day, she saw no abnormalities in that?)... I did actually see it :roll: It was VERY orange?? :crazy:
He is now off all AB'setc, no pills at all ... only insulin (which been increased in last few days but he had this prior to increase too?)... can anyone advise?? Thank you...
ps any searches re this go for urine "testing"....N/A ....thx

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I understand that the colour of urine is often to do with hydration. If you aren't drinking enough it will be darker.
http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesse ... eck-urine/
Before I was diagnosed with T1 and had very high glucose levels, I was producing a lot of urine, it was clear, like water because I was al,so drinking huge amounts.

Pastell

RomaFree said:
My husband is the diabetic, not myself but he does not go on the internet. He is Type 2, was on Metformin until recently when he had kidney infection that shot his blood sugar levels up sky high and he was put on insulin in hospital (10 days).
He now home since a few days...has told me of orange urine, tonight (not AM as he told diabetic nurse the other day, she saw no abnormalities in that?)... I did actually see it :roll: It was VERY orange?? :crazy:
He is now off all AB'setc, no pills at all ... only insulin (which been increased in last few days but he had this prior to increase too?)... can anyone advise?? Thank you...
ps any searches re this go for urine "testing"....N/A ....thx

I would say have a word with your HCP, from my experience, urine colour can mean nothing, but, sometimes can mean something very serious, actual colour is relatively meaningless.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
There is a bactericidal antibiotic that can dye the urine orange and as he had an infection, this might be the answer. Even so, best check with your doctor asap just to make sure

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Urine can be a wide range of colours for all sorts of unimportant reasons as indicated by previous answers. I have known my urine to be orange, and in my case it was due to a small amount of blood in it, on one occasion as a result of prostate trouble, and another time due to surgical intervention to treat kidney stones. In your husbands case it could be something entirely different, but best get it checked out by the doctor; but in the meantime don't be too alarmed.....if it is caused by the presence of blood it could only be a very small amount... any more and the urine would be very definitely red ( I know that from my own bitter experience, too!).