Using Byetta? How do you carry it around?

stephenT2

Hi,

Ive just been prescribed Byetta (After a very unsuccessful 6 months on insulin!).

After just collecting my pen, I'm disapointed in the physical aspect of its use. There is no 'pen clip' so you can keep it safely in your pocket, also, there is no case supplied where you can carry it around with a few spare needles. (My old insulin Novopen had all these things)

Any one any tips on how to carry all the relavant bits around with you safely?

Stephen

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Stephen,
It has no clip because you are not supposed to carry it round with you. You only use it twice a day - once before breakfast and again before your evening meal. Most of the time there's no need for it to leave the house. In between injections it can be kept in the fridge or at room temperature provided you keep it below 25ºC. If I go out for a meal then I carry it in its box in my coat pocket. The tray that holds the pen has handy compartments where you can store needles ready for use.

stephenT2

Hi Dennis,

Problem solved! When I first started on insulin, I was wrongly given an 'ely lilly' pen which I never used, I'd forgotten all about it. It came in a beautiful crafted box, like an expensive case that you'd keep your glasses in.

The moulding inside fits the Bayetta pen perfectly, along with three slots for spare needles. I appreciate what you say about keeping it in the house, but I often go out after work for an ad hoc meal to friends/family (advantage of being single!), so always like to have the pen with me just in case.

Stephen

cherrypie

I got given a fabric case -0 bit like my meter holder but I prefer to carry it around in a bracelet box with a rigid shell - - a specs case would be an idea too. I don't carry it with me unless I am out for the day when I might not be back for the evening meal.

cherrypie

stephenT2

I also noticed that on surfing the Byetta web site, that if you register as a user, you can get a free 'carry case' sent out to you for the pen. Unfortunately, the offer is only applicable to residents of the good ole USA! :(