Using insulin to help increase muscle gains?

1david10

Hi, I'm a 21 year old type 1 diabetic and I've been looking to increase my muscle mass and cut a little body fat. I've been going to the gym regularly and I'm trying to stick to a low carb/high protein diet. I've been looking around and found that apparently insulin can be used to help increase gains in muscle mass I just can't seem to figure out how. From what I understand, after a gym session I am suppose to eat a higher carb meal and increase the amount of insulin I inject along with it. Is there any truth to this? Any help would be appreciated.

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
try this article

http://www.musclenet.com/getbulky/Info/Steroid_Info/insulin.html

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
and this

http://www.basskilleronline.com/first-time-insulin-user.shtml

it has very specific information about how to inject and how to match it to food etc

1david10

Thanks for the articles, I've read through them both but them seem to be aimed at non-diabetics who are using insulin to build muscle. I was wondering if since I'm already diabetic and using insulin, is there anything I can be doing with my injections to get the added benefit of helping me gain muscle?

Mileana

What type of insulin are you on now? How well do you know your ratios? Do you ever hypo? How much weight do you lift? How often? What other types of exercise do you do?

I am guessing that if you know what you are doing, you could add 4 RA units post workout with 40g of carb (or whatever your ratio is) along with 0.5g/kilo protein. You need to be pretty durned careful tho for the obvious reasons, and I would do 1 unit at a time increments. You need to factor in the rise you are likely to get post workout if it is strenous, and I would expect it to be when were talking hypertrophy, and make pretty darned sure you're taking on board enough carbohydrates for your expected drop at 1-2 hrs post work out.

What I think I would do to test is not above, really, but rather I would have a meal before workout - perhaps an hour before. When your insulin peaks around 2 hrs and a bit (I'm on NovoRapid), you should have pushed your sugar up a bit with some RM5 or RM3 super-sets. Then after workout, I would inject 2 units of insulin, eat 30-40g protein, wait 30 minutes for my stress hormones to start calming, then add 20-30g carbohydrate to the mix.

It does come with a very big warning sign that you must know what you are doing - know your ratios, don't tamper with it until you have tried lowering your repetitions and upping the resistance to see where that gets you, and don't accept hypo's at all - no matter how uncool you may think it looks, test in the gym - stress hormones and hypo can feel quite the same when your muscles are pushed to the limit. And your own system will be less good at coping with hypos after a while of being diabetic, your glycogen response will be a bit less effective than normal peoples too, most likely. Also, your immediate first response (releasing easily accessible sugar from muscles) will fail, because you just spent that doing your lifting. So be VERY awake. No point dropping a 300 lb barbell on your head. And noone cares how you look when they carry your coffin! I'm being harsh, but you get what I'm saying?

Do everything else first, then do as little as possible, as carefully as possible, and test, check, tamper, learn, retest.... Yeah? It's not like the muscle will go on without a workout either.... Good luck.

-M

Mark1963

Don't stress about insulin as that'll really only help pro bodybuilders. Just keep a food log over next month & see how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Then increase by a couple of hundred & pick the heaviest weight you can, do compound movements & get plenty of good food, sleep & rest. I'm type 2 but diabetes will only hinder you if you want to compete other than that just follow the advice for everyone else, eating a good high protein diet already puts you in a better position than most non diabetics & remember you build muscle while resting not in the gym. Good luck