Using Lancet hurts.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have bought the SD Codefree meter set, and am using their lancets. Even with a fresh one, and the lancet set on 1, it hurts my fingers and stings for about an hour afterwards.

I am using the sides of my fingers, and washing my hands in warm water first. I have very sensitive skin and fingers anyway.

Could it be technique or the lancets? I am using the lancets which came with the kit. I press the circle bit gently against my skin and press the trigger. it always makes me jump and lots of blood comes out, so 1 must be deep enough.

Defren

I have a codefree meter too and mine is set at 4. It's pretty painless for me, and I get plenty of blood for the test. It sounds like your sensitive skin is the problem, and I'm not sure there is an answer. You may just have to bite your tongue each time and just get on with it. You could try cooling your finger under the tap for a minute and see if that takes the sting away.

Glados

Dislikes
Courgettes.
I've got the Freedom Lite thingy (which sounds more like a feminine hygiene product to me) and the lancet hurts like a swear-word. I think it's basically a biological fact that, unless your nerves are damaged, slamming a needle into your finger is going to hurt. I HATE doing mine, plus (even though I use setting 4) blood often refuses to come out much! Grrr! Have often had TWO goes.

I must have fingers like Chuck Norris. :x

SweetHeart

MH doesn't use his fingers. He finds it's much less painful on his forearms. A little Germolene cream (with local anaesthetic) is quite good after testing - kills the sting and keeps the puncture wound clean.

Julia

A

Anonymous

Glados said:
I've got the Freedom Lite thingy (which sounds more like a feminine hygiene product to me) and the lancet hurts like a swear-word. I think it's basically a biological fact that, unless your nerves are damaged, slamming a needle into your finger is going to hurt. I HATE doing mine, plus (even though I use setting 4) blood often refuses to come out much! Grrr! Have often had TWO goes.

I must have fingers like Chuck Norris. :x

Same fingerpricker thingy, and the same problem. Let`s face it, we are wimps!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The multiclix that comes with the accuchek meter is very user friendly You may be able to get the meter off the net. cheaply they come with the multiclix and a few strips
CAROL

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So different lancets may be gentler?

Is there a user guide or recommended one for gentle yet sharp?

C

catherinecherub

Lucy,

Just a thought. You are new to this and I wonder if you are tensing up when you use the lancet?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I tensing up??

I am petrified!!! :shock: I hate having to do something to my fingers :(

SweetHeart

You can buy local anaesthetic on ebay - the stuff used pre-tattooing/waxing. You could use a tiny dab of that 10 mins or so before you test, carefully washing any residue off your fingers (if you have to use your fingers) or whichever site you choose, before lancing.

Julia

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm a sewer and constantly pricking my fingers, I even watch when blood is being taken and when having injections - no problems. But the first time I had to do it myself I sat there for 2 hours plucking up the courage. Silly sod. But now a week or so later and I have no problem. You just gotta do it. :thumbup:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just wondering:

am i supposed to press the circle bit into my finger before clicking the trigger, or just have it resting on my skin? I am pressing quite hard and I wonder if the lancet is going too deep?

I cant find a video which shows lancet use close up in detail.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lucylocket61 said:
I am just wondering:

am i supposed to press the circle bit into my finger before clicking the trigger, or just have it resting on my skin? I am pressing quite hard and I wonder if the lancet is going too deep?

I cant find a video which shows lancet use close up in detail.

Don't press to hard against the skin and see if it helps, failing that contact the manufacturer's helpline for advice.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

I help it against my skin, but not pressing this time, and it hardly hurt. :D

dwilson32392

`I find that it's almost painless if you 'stab' the lancing device quickly and firmly against the skin, and then trigger the pricker. The impact of the plastic circle on the end of the lancing device, if you do it hard enough, seems to blot out the prick of the needle. I always set it at the lowest level, no.1, and if it doesn't produce enough blood, squeeze the finger until a reasonable-sized bubble of blood has formed. In practice can be very small indeed to get the meter bleeping.

meganne

I am new to this and I bought the SD Codefree meter aswell. I have the opposite problem from you, I can't get blood easily the lancet is set at 5 and I feel the sting but no blood! I have even bruised my skin. I have had to resort to using the clear top intended for other areas, and pushing the end of my finger into the larger hole and then firing the trigger!

I hope it will get easier with time! :?

sunlover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling cold...which is hard as i live in Scotland!
I've never got around to using the lancet - I just stick the pin in and away I go - must be the scottish side of me

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have given up using the SD codefree lancet. I got a Glucomen lancet with my free meter, and that is spring loaded and great.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lucylocket61 said:
I
Could it be technique or the lancets? I am using the lancets which came with the kit. I press the circle bit gently against my skin and press the trigger. it always makes me jump and lots of blood comes out, so 1 must be deep enough.

I hate to state the absolutely bleeding obvious but you have noticed that the lancet machine is adjustable? On the SD the front end of the pen shaped device can be rotated. If a lot of blood comes out rotate the adjuster down from 4, 3 or whatever until it stings less.

I realise you know all this but it needed saying since I own one and I can turn it down until it produces no blood at all when I get it wrong.