Using multiple fast-acting insulin types?

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do any of you use more than one type of bolus insulin?

I'm on MDI (Lantus+Humalog), and have been making a big push to improve my control over the last couple of months, greatly helped by having the Libre. It has definitely improved significantly, but I still want it tighter.
Influenced by this forum I've also been experimenting with much lower carbs, at least for breakfast and dinner, and liking the results so far.
However, in order to achieve this improved control, I've also been having many more small injections of my Humalog. Whereas before I would typically do 3 large doses in a day for meals, plus maybe 1 or 2 corrections, I'm now sometimes doing more than 10 injections (most of them only 1 or 2 units).
Some of this is admittedly just reactive bouncing around that I will hopefully be able to reduce with experience (Since getting the Libre I've been a bit addicted to trying to keep it perfectly within that blue band, even if the graph ends up looking like a sawtooth. The attention this requires doesn't feel sustainable long term though).
However it also seems that it is partly just a consequence of the action curve of the Humalog not matching the glucose release I'm getting from fat/protein based meals. No matter how I time it, there seems to just be no way of controlling some meals with a single injection. I don't mind injections too much, and my sites are mostly okay for now, but if I could reduce the number of shots it would be nice.
So I'm thinking perhaps a slightly less fast-acting insulin like Humulin R could be useful for me at meal times. However I wouldn't want to give up the Humalog, as I rely greatly on it for when I do need something fast (unless I could get something even faster like Afrezza). Hence the question at the start.

(and I know one obvious answer is to move to a pump with extended boluses and other wonderful features, and maybe that is in my future, but I'm not keen yet.)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is a lot of injections @Westley, do be sure to rotate your injection sites to avoid lipo issues.

Before I moved to Novorapid & Lantus I was using a insulin called Actrapid, it lasts up to 8 hours and starts working around 30mins after injecting, it would probably work better for low-carb meals that are high in both fat & protein.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a pump with regular porcine insulin in which has a similar pattern of action to Actrapid above, and I also have a pen with Humalog in for 'emergencies' - ie if I need a quick correction or i can't bolus 30 mins before eating, etc

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I know of some people that use analogues as well as the longer duration insulin' depending on what they are eating. They have found better results when eating high fat or protein meals.