Using wipes

Lilliepop

Hello. I was wondering can I use a wipe to clean my finger before I take my blood test? If your in a car or somewhere you can't wash your hands would this be okay?

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you mean wet wipes then I would say no because they have so many ingredients in them that they can interfere with some testing strips. I have a small bottle of water in my car and some kitchen paper or pack of tissues for when I need to test and can't wash my hands properly.

Having said that I think it would try using a wet wipe and then testing to see if it affects your strips. BUT I would test the wet wipes first on the inside of your wrist as some cause allergic reactions due to the preservatives - even the sensitive skin baby wipes can cause my skin to blister and peel off.

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am not sure where u get them from, I think somewhere online, but someone I know uses 'diawipes' X

Reactions: azure

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Reactions: azure

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to what I was taught in my training using anything with alcohol in to clean the area can harden the skin therefore making the prick hurt more and making drawing blood difficult.

I have discovered some alcohol free wipes made by accucheck (£1.29 for ten) which I buy from boots. I use them when my hands are particularly dirty or I have lots of sugar on my hands etc... The thing is that plain water is the best thing you can use, and putting a bottle in your car etc., is he best thing to do.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This has got me thinking when I went to my doctors surgery he did a finger prick test now he washed his hands but he never asked me to wash mine and I don't recall if he used a swab. Doesn't matter though because I had of course washed them before going to the doctors.

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They are on amazon I use them x
9a9c98fdb8bead9110553ec0a1ca171b.jpg

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
You can baby wipes that are just water based - nothing added

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors
Not too sure if it's me or others here, but after many years with different things to stop incorrect readings from machines is just water! but even then, I still get incorrect readings from the machines, so I would still say trust nothing! Also why are we talking about buying these Items they are and should be free on the NHS we have always have had things to keep us safe and these are needed to keep diabetics safe. I would say alcohol free wipes are the best out of them all. Diabetics get free prescripts for everything needed for us to keep alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So please stop saying buy them! And request None alcohol from your GP I'm talking about U.k Here as are system is different then the rest of the world!