UTAG ICE

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Mills and Boon books, hip hop music, New Labour.
I know that many people with Diabetes and other conditions or illnesses carry some sort of medical alert jewellery, a friend of mine let me know about a product called , UTAG ICE it is a USB storage device built into either a dogtag or a credit card that can contain all your medical info in a form that any computer running on Windows ME, 2000, XP and Vista can access.

I've been looking for something like this for a while and i haven't wanted to pay a subscription for a service so this looks pretty good to me. Has anyone else used one? I'm probably going to order one soon and when I receive it I'll post a review, if anyone is interested.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I've removed the link from your post but left the name so people can google for it if they wish. Sorry, no commercial links allowed.

Although i do have to say that dog tag looks really neat... it must be quite big though? for a USB plug to fit onto it?

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
As a moderator you can do what you like, but how about the link to the Aviva Nano you posted, or my review of the Desang kitbag which contained links.

Anyway here's a link to a report on the UTAG in the Guardian.

Stuboy

Dislikes
The Accu-Check site isnt a commercial website, it's a support and information site, they don't sell anything on the website. Therefore it is allowed. It was a link to a new monitor that can be aquired for FREE via the link.

I wasn't a moderator when you posted about the design kit bags either...

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Quite right,Stuboy.Links of interest to diabetics are always welcome.Links that are commercial are not.

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Okay, how about this link link.

Is that allowed?

And as this link doesn't specifically sell the item, is it okay?

All I wanted to do was point out an item that could be useful for people with diabetes.

I have a UTAG-ICE, It's very good as you can put lots of info onto it, even a picture of yourself. It's not large (military dogtag size), I bought mine because I ride a Motorbike, not the safest of past times. The only fault I have with it is that the USB stick opens out on its own, but this is easily remedied by a small amount of sellotape. I would recommend one over the Talisman as you can get far more info onto it, and if you're travelling abroad you can change the language before you depart.
However, if you're allergic to nickel or base metal, replace the chain. I had to replace mine with a stainless steel one, as the original brought me out in a rash.

Stuboy

Dislikes
it does look like a very good idea... i like the credit card type one... i already have a meditag which is 3d... nice design... if i didn't already have one that cost me £35 i'd probably get a UTAG i think...

iph888

I've got one of these and got to say it's quite smart & doesn't look as bad as most of the medical braclets/necklaces on the market, even possibly fashionable.

The USB part is password protected to edit (so no pranks from friends) and although the information on the USB is only any use with a computer it does come with a regular dog tag as well where you can engrave the important bits of info so that first responders don't have to find a PC.

It's not too bulky either (not much more than a regular dog tag) but the one annoyance I have is when running it bounces around and clatters against the other tag making a bit of a racket but that's probably just me being picky.

susieq987

Hi, I have one of these and think thet're really good as you can update the info as often as required at no extra cost. To stop the tags clanging together the regular tag was sent with a thin rubber/plastic surround so I don't have this problem

iph888

susieq987 you are right it does have a plastic ring around the regular dog tag but this does not stop it making a noise when running.

To stop myself sounding like I had a bunch of keys around my neck I got a separate rubber surround for the USB part.

By the way if you break the chain then don't buy a replacement from the UTAG website as although they seem cheap they tarnish to a horrible brown colour in days unlike the original chain which did not tarnish at all.

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
Just to let you all know the UTAG has a software update version 1.2 as of 2010

1.2 just adds a print option. This would be useful in as much a doctor could just click the print icon on the UTAG without any messing.

It also adds a "(private folder) allowing you to store files ect in that folder and it will also encrypt them if you are concerned about people accessing that folder.

The update cost £5.00 from the UTAG main site. The only reason to update would be to get the print option and private folder. It's up to you if you want to update it.

To find out what version you are running plug in the UTAG into the usb port launch it, and in the top corner you will see the number of what version you are running.

keith44

I know that many people with Diabetes and other conditions or illnesses carry some sort of medical alert jewellery, a friend of mine let me know about a product called , UTAG ICE it is a USB storage device built into either a dogtag or a credit card that can contain all your medical info in a form that any computer running on Windows ME, 2000, XP and Vista can access.

I've been looking for something like this for a while and i haven't wanted to pay a subscription for a service so this looks pretty good to me. Has anyone else used one? I'm probably going to order one soon and when I receive it I'll post a review, if anyone is interested.
utag ice do not work with windows 10

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
utag ice do not work with windows 10

Hi @keith44

You have posted on a thread that was started 12 years ago, long before Windows 10 came out (which was 2015, I think).
The last post before yours was over 10 years ago, so the posters may not respond to you.