1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vaping and Diabeties

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Xan2cv, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Xan2cv

Xan2cv Type 2 · Member

Hi, I am a vaper and for those of you that are & Diabetic like myself
    here are a couple of interesting facts I learn't recently.

Firstly Electronic Cigarette juice consists of a food grade Propylene Glycol base (PG) usually mixed with a certain percentage
    of food Grade Vegetable Glycerine or (VG)

When (PG) is inhaled the body metabolises the PG as Lactose and this may cause cramp for some people, usually drinking water
    or increasing water intake can resolve this, if it does not then a weaker mix of PG to VG may be necessary.

Vegetable Glycerine on the other hand (VG) Metabolises in the Body as Sugar and anyone using a High Ratio of this usually above 50%
    may experience slightly higher sugar levels.

Without going to much into the technical details many people Vape a higher % of VG because it produces more vapour
    but it can increase the bodies sugar levels.

I have been a 100% VG vaper and struggled to lower my sugar levels I am now using a 70% PG / 30% VG mix which is probably
    the most common mix available at retailers, this has enabled me to reduce my sugars significantly.

Hope this helps someone especially if you know your diet is fine and cannot seem to get those sugar levels down.

Obviously everybody's Metabolic rate is different so it may or may not be having a bigger or lesser effect on your sugar
    results. My Morning Highs are a thing of the past now and it seems it was very much down to using 100% VG.

Regards.

Nigel.

• Informative Informative x 2
    #1 Xan2cv, Jul 28, 2015 at 2:53 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  2. scottish-jim

scottish-jim Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm a happy vaper with no adverse effects on my blood sugars. :)

3. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I am a vaper, have been for 2 1/2 years. Never felt better (and richer) apart from the diabetes of course and under-active thyroid, high blood pressure and high cholesterol but all my levels are now coming down.

• Like Like x 2
  4. south711

south711 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5. south711

south711 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I have been using electronic cigs, as I stopped smoking since November, I always have apple without tobac. not a problem, maybe by using this my diabetic results has been lowered But what ever it is, it is certainly better then smoking. and keeping me off the cigs. Interesting information

6. Fibromite

Fibromite · Newbie

****, hate the PG and was happy in my no nicotine vaping pass time, now what will I do :0(

7. GregII

GregII · Newbie

****!!!! This has depressed me so much.

When I did my research a couple fo years ago, the indication was that vaping does not effect your sugar levels - but according to this post, that info is a bit wrong.

I have an added complication that I am both Lactose intolerant as well as being diabetic - and I was wodnering how come I was still having the lactose reaction, despite avoiding all dairy religiously and also why my sugar levels are still so high, despite being very strict with my diet and meds.

It seems in one instance, its the PG causing the lactose reaction and the VG effecting my sugars.

I dont want to go abck to smoking again - but this post has really thrown me for a bit of a loop. Unsure what to do now.........

Edited by mod to comply with forum rules on language

#7 GregII, May 14, 2019 at 3:49 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
  8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Seems unlikely - are you sure you didn't mean lactic acid? If not, could you supply a reference, please?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Just one word of caution nicotine it's self raises blood sugar though I know many people who do vape zero nicotine vapes as they enjoy making vast clouds of smoke and like the flavours.

10. mr_cat

mr_cat · Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how much you vape.
    Myself 1.5-2 cc per day I doubt much of it is absorbed.

11. mysticlotus

mysticlotus · Newbie

Oh well done you how did you lose the weight?

12. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

13. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Been vaping full VG for a couple of years now, no issues with blood sugars so far.....

A 10ml bottle usually lasts me a couple of days though, so I probably don't use as much as some people...

14. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I think I may dust my vape off and give it another go.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dolliediabetic

dolliediabetic Type 1 · Member

I once bought a fairly cheap, cola flavoured vape juice. It's the only juice that's ever increased my BG's (but only very slightly).

According to my friend who works in a vape shop:
    "Yeah all the liquids have sugar in it but it shouldn't affect your levels. If it does i'm pretty sure we do ones without sugar in."
    Not the most clear, but some information nonetheless :hilarious:

16. Jo_the_boat

Jo_the_boat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I believe nicotine also has an adverse effect on blood vessels. I gave up first ciggies then vaping. Now chew copious quantities of airways chewing gum and my dentist tells me my teeth are knackered. But overall, having teeth that look like a building site is better than no circulation.

17. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Seriously? lol, I vape more than that in a day! Although I do have 3 mods on the go so that's partly the reason :oops::oops: xx

18. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Very little juices contain sugar, I mix my own juice from scratch and there is only 1 flavour concentrate brand that's bad for having sugar/corn syrup or fructose in the concentrates, so called 'premium' shop bought juices do tend to be overloaded with sucralose though, the most common used being Capella Super Sweet which is sucralose diluted at 20% in pg, I cant tolerate the aftertaste of sucralose and it is also a well known coil killer hence why I started mixing my own, I now admin a popular mixing group on FB too so vaping is also a hobby for me xx

19. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't use it constantly.......not during the day at work anyway......

I am using the coolfire ultra mod with an extended 7ml SMOK tank......on 60w, which seems to be more power than most I have thought...

• Like Like x 1
  20. mr_cat

mr_cat · Well-Known Member

I am old school kayfun lite at 8.5watts home brewed unflavoured mix with a dash of nicotine for a nice peppery nose on it:happy:

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook