Vegan Baking - Suggestions & Recipes from the Vegan Society

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Exactly what the thread title says - it has recipes, links to recipes and helpful comments about ingredients.

Also, if you're British you can be sure that sugar made from sugar beet is made in this country and thus not bleached with bone char. We use Billingtons golden granulated from sugar beet and if the recipe calls for caster sugar then I just whizz it for a while in the processor. (Not too long or you'll end up with icing sugar..... this is how I make icing sugar for fondant icing on cakes if required).

https://www.vegansociety.com/whats-...now-about-successful-vegan-baking#ingredients

Also one very useful fact - Jus-rol ready made pastry is vegan. Handy for puff and filo, although shortcrust is so quick to make why bother.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You honestly advise diabetics to eat sugar and pastry?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just an FYI Jus Rol is made using Palm Oil and Rapeseed Oil. (For those wishing to avoid seed oils).

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.

This forum is for T1's as well as T2's - and we can eat what we want. Filo pastry is acceptable on top of pies. And yes, I eat quiche - not just frittata - why not? I know the carb content, I know my ratios.

Not everyone is low carbing.....

Please don't presume to be the police of other peoples' plates.....

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

As for the sugar - do you not have guests round sometimes who have sugar in their tea and coffee?

And whilst I often substitute half the quantity of sugar called for in a recipe with stewed apple, sometimes there is no substitute. If I make meringue for instance - which I might for the MacMillan coffee morning things we hold at the office - then I find sugar an essential.

It isn't all about me, what I want etc - I have a family, friends and colleagues and cook for them, not just me....

And I say again - not everyone low carbs, and T1's don't need to.

Last edited:
Reactions: LooperCat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This isn't a 'low carb thread', it's posted in ;
Vegan Baking - Suggestions & Recipes from the Vegan Society
and some diabetes member's do eat sugar, in one form or another.

I am not vegan.
I wrote last night, but forgot to post it !!

Reactions: WuTwo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This forum is for T1's as well as T2's - and we can eat what we want. Filo pastry is acceptable on top of pies. And yes, I eat quiche - not just frittata - why not? I know the carb content, I know my ratios.

No need to explain @WuTwo, but I understand why you have.

ps, can't wait to try your sauce :)

Reactions: WuTwo

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Many T1s can balance their insulin perfectly to a diet that includes carbs and even sugar. The DCUK forum is supposed to include us as well, it’s not just for carnivorous, low carbing T2s, although it’s beginning to feel like it. I personally choose to eat a low carb diet because it suits me, but as someone who doesn’t eat meat and dairy (and substitutes with “fake meat) I’m starting to feel most unwelcome on this forum.

M

Member496333

I’m the Carbohydrate Police and even I thought that the sugar comment was probably misplaced in this context. But let’s not get carried away with the reactions - no need for anyone to feel unwelcome, we are all in this together. Perhaps just call it an error of judgment and move on :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents. Please lets keep this civil. All members can choose how they manage their diabetes, whether it is by a means avaiable to us as individuals or whether we believe it is in their best interest.

There is no one single answer to managing this condition, so please don't let's focus on one thing, because it worked for us.

For T1s, skilled in using insulin, it appears to be possible to live a near normal (the near being a concession to the insulin et al) lives. We have many members her deomonstrating it on a daily basis.

Back to the topic please.

D

Deleted Account

I eat sugar and pastry, exercise regularly, am not over weight, have a good Hb1AC and, most importantly, I am NOT insulin resistant.
As @Mel dCP has said this forum is for everyone with diabetes. Type 1 is a different condition to type 2 and is managed differently. To my knowledge, someone with type 1 is no more likely than someone without diabetes to become insulin resistant.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Having seen so many posts from people struggling to balance their diet/insulin/exercise/medication/other conditions and get 'in range' blood glucose readings - and failing and reporting their anxiety and inability to cope - I ask that it be considered that eating high carb foods might be part of the problem.
I am not blaming the concept of being vegetarian or vegan - I am perfectly happy to eat salads without fish, meat or cheese - though I do have eggs, non viable ones as there is no cockerel.
I tried to eat low carb for over 40 years before diagnosis with diabetes, but was constantly pushed to eat 'normally' - and I know how ill that made me feel, every time I gave in to the doctors insistence that they knew better.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having seen so many posts from people struggling to balance their diet/insulin/exercise/medication/other conditions and get 'in range' blood glucose readings - and failing and reporting their anxiety and inability to cope - I ask that it be considered that eating high carb foods might be part of the problem.
I am not blaming the concept of being vegetarian or vegan - I am perfectly happy to eat salads without fish, meat or cheese - though I do have eggs, non viable ones as there is no cockerel.
I tried to eat low carb for over 40 years before diagnosis with diabetes, but was constantly pushed to eat 'normally' - and I know how ill that made me feel, every time I gave in to the doctors insistence that they knew better.
For a type 1, even if the person eats low carb, without enough insulin on board he or she will be running high. So high or low carb isn't always the problem, it makes insulin to carb ratio easier. But it doesn't factor in other reasons for high or low BGs. However we can't always avoid carbs because sometimes it all goes wrong and we need carbs to help us live.
I think OP was just sharing vegan baking recipes, T1 or T2 whatever the food allergies or intolerances or diet can adapt the recipes or change it to their liking. no sugar? stevia or other sweeteners is fine for a substitute. no flour? there's almond, coconut flour to bake with. Whenever a T2 shares a recipe, I adapt it to how I like it and say "oh that isn't too bad and my BG isn't bad either. 10/10 would try it again":hilarious:
I also like to think we are sailing the same boat and trying our best to manage our conditions to the best of our ability.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I was going to post something, but I won't now, as I feel it would probably be edited or deleted, so I will stay away from here. Sorry @WuTwo as I do find your way of life (and it is a way of life) very humbling
I don't care what people like to eat, so I hope your thread moves towards more positive responses regarding a Vegan diet. Good luck :)

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That was part of my point - dense carb foods for type ones can result in a BG graph that looks like the track of one of those pingpong games on the old PCs.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I am T1 - if I want a beanburger and chip supper at 100g, I can dose adjust for it and be absolutely fine thanks.

Not everyone is T2. I know the T2's on this board have a hard time accepting that but it's the truth - one in ten diabetics are T1 and we want a life too!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@WuTwo Could I ask for an egg substitute, have you tried chia seed water? I think vegan eggs are too expensive (if I remember correctly it was £6 :eek:), unless you know a good place to buy them from?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

That was part of my point - dense carb foods for type ones can result in a BG graph that looks like the track of one of those pingpong games on the old PCs.

Allow us - please - to know our own diabetes and stop trying to nanny us!!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Every so often, questions are posed by T1s about their bg being out of whack, and it's surprising the number of times it turns out that, whether through them not being taught it in the first place, or having missed or forgotten it, that they don't know about basic things like basal testing, pre-bolusing, correction factors and not overdoing hypo treatments.

Getting those things right can resolve a lot of problems.

It's too simplistic to say bg is out of whack therefore it must be the carbs.

Anyway, a chocolate eclair is only about 10g, a slice of cheesecake about 30 to 40g, and those are trivial amounts in a T1 context, especially when eaten at the end of a meal, when the other macro components, and, indeed, the fat in the dessert itself will slow absorption to a rate which will very often nicely match the insulin action time profile.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Back to baking everyone or there will be deletions.