Vegetable oils, a good take

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Below is the link to a good read with the take home message, which I certainly agree with;
There are many healthy fats that humans have been eating for hundreds of years without any problems (since before all the “modern” diseases became problems).

This includes extra virgin olive oil (best), as well as coconut oil and grass-fed butter… which are all exceptionally healthy in the context of a balanced, real food based diet.

Unfortunately, the same can NOT be said about vegetable oils. These are refined and processed fats that have been shown to cause serious harm in countless studies.

If you care about your health and want to avoid chronic disease, then I recommend that you avoid vegetable oils as if your life depended on it… because it really does.

http://authoritynutrition.com/11-serious-concerns-about-vegetable-oils/

Reactions: 6 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting regarding oil. However read the small print
Many of the the quality olive oils have been processed and adulterated with cheaper oils.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've no particular position on this one except that I use olive oil for preference. I use very little in cooking, (I use non stick pans and as little as possible). I use some 'raw' olive or walnut oil on a salad most days

I Vegetable oil definition he is not really meaning vegetable oil; rather seed oil. What about nut oils, like walnut oil, it's a vegetable oil and very much available before this century . Olive oil comes from a plant. (as do all the seed oils)
2) Chris Gunnar's has done a fair amount of cherry picking. A quick look on google scholar shows that some studies suggest that polyunsaturated oils have been suggested to be protective against some cancers . Here's one such study . I've no doubt that one could find an opposite one; basically I don't think it's as simple to say one good the other bad.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/healthy-fats-may-fight-early-stage-prostate-cancer-201306126377
3) rapeseed oil (as it is called in this part of the world) is a seed oil that is also almost as high in monounsaturated far as olive oil. Some British versions actually have much high amounts of omega 3 http://www.heraldscotland.com/food-drink/opinion/is-rapeseed-oil-all-its-cracked-up-to-be.19664783 (probably not the standard supermarket versions which are according to the rapeseed council about twice the omega 6 to Omega 3)
3) Reheating any sort of oil to high temperature may create trans fats. This isn't a good idea (rapeseed can be heated to higher temperatures than olive)
4) Coconut oil, one of the latest favourites, much of which is produced industrially (compare the production methods with that of industrial seed oil; almost identical) and in this case may contain trans fats. The vitamin/mineral content is poor, almost a big fat zero. Personally, I don't reckon many of my ancestors were eating it (big carbon footprint; though actually I don't think I've ever seen it in a supermarket here in France)
5) Olive oil adulterated? possibly in the US Shouldn't happen here as there are quite stringent regulations and a lot of olive groves (though after horse meat in beef burgers, who really knows?) I'm lucky enough to be able to buy olive oil from a mill for salads. It's too expensive to cook with though.
Olive oil does though deteriorate quickly in light. Don't buy it from a supermarket with a low turnover. (buy the bottle in the middle of the line and keep it in a cupboard)
6) I don't know what the levels of omega 6 and 3 are in European body fat . I looked up the proportions in the UK diet the other day and have lost it but it was absolutely nowhere near the 16.1 ratio (I think it was 3.5-5 :1 according to gender and age group but I won't swear to that)
7) Most sources reckon that the Brits get enough omega 6. What they don't do is follow health guidelines, and eat 2 portions of oily fish a week which would rectify the imbalance (most eat less than a third of a portion a week)

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I notice that lard, butter, goose fat or beef dripping are not part of the report!
I personally use a small amount of goose fat or coconut oil depending on what I'm cooking. Won't touch all the others that you have mentioned.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
don't eat too much of the blue 6
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
upload_2014-10-25_6-37-31.png

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
'grass fed butter'
A happy picture of farmers pitchforking bails of hay to the happy cow gambolling around in the snow in winter, with a smiley sun in the sky, looking down on all.