Vegetarian

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi everyone. I've been thinking for some time of changing to a vegetarian diet. I'm a well controlled t2 and marathon runner & having low carbed for many years, feel the time has come to ditch the meat & get my proteins & fats from a largely plant based diet. Any tips?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C

catherinecherub

There are several vegetarians on the forum.

I will bump your post up for answers.

K

Kat100

Hello I have been a veggie all my life, a lot of Years, now, I don't low carb .....I keep my hba1c at around 6.1 one year ago it was 18
Found it was sugar doing the damage...
I was always a healthy eater though. Love homemade food...still like to bake as well, make the odd cake with a sugar substitute .....
I eat some carbs but have changed portion control.in fact I need to eat less....but I do need 3 meals a day and sometimes a small snack...

Today my menu is

Alpen with almond milk

Homemade cauliflower soup, live life seeded bread, I don't always have the healthy bread..
A soya yougurt
Half an apple

Dinner will be veggie bean chill with rice....
And a couple of squares of green and blacks...

I can only share my diet with you, I wish you luck with which ever diet you choose....

Best wishes Kat

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi bloke

My top tip is to cook from scratch. I am a low carb T2 lacto-ovo veggie. I don't actually count carbs, I just avoid the obvious ones. I eat loads...

non-starchy veg
berries
avocados
eggs
cheese
cream
butter
yoghurt
nuts
seeds
quorn (non fancy types)
pulses in moderation
zero carb veggie jelly

We have a few long distance runners here who will hopefully chip in :)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Our whole family is vegetarian. My diet is similar to Avocados above. I avoid potatoes, rice, pasta, cereal, fruit juices, most bread as well as the obvious cakes, biscuits etc. But I am not fanatical about it now I have lost weight and increased my exercise I can deal with things much better.

However I love courgettes ribbons much more than past and I could have had pasta 10 times a day and cauliflower rice is nicer than real rice so I will never go back.

If they had put meat in chocolate I would never have become a diabetic.

Cara

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Hi
I went pescatarian 12 months ago. Reason, reduce animal suffering.
My diet is so similar to Avocado’s. While I do eat cheese I no longer drink cow’s milk; reducing thing again.
I use KOKO (coconut) milk in my coffee as it doesn’t curdle like soya when mixed with hot liquid, only drink green tea, and I use sweetened soya in my cereal in the mornings.
I occasionally eat prawns; poor things, though in time I hope to be Veggie.
All vegetables, mostly green
Berries
Apples
Oranges
eggs
cheese
cream
butter
nuts, lots of
seeds, milled organic, flax, sunflower, sesame with goji berries on cereal
soya mince, burgers, sausages
Quorn, chicken slices, chicken breasts
Red wine
Make from scratch cauliflower cheese though with equal measure of cauliflower, broccoli and mixed small veg (carrots peas etc) all from freezer. Delicious.
Never felt better in all my life and I find it impossible to put weight on.

Janiept

Expert
What do you do to tofu Carraway to make it edible? I eat and love all the above mentioned foods but tofu is the one thing I can't stand despite trying different cooking methods.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Marinade it, stick it in stir fries. Cauldron Foods do a pre-marinaded (is that a word?) one.

For those who haven't tried it, it's a bit like boiled egg white. So it's more about the texture than the taste.

Sweet Chilli sauce is good with it.

I also have it with roasted Mediterranean veg and halloumi

You can dry fry it if you keep it moving.

I wouldn't get over excited about it (it's not cauliflower, after all ;) )

But it's a health source of protein

1g of carbs per 100g and 17.5 g protein 232 kCal

Reactions: 3 people

Janiept

Expert
Thanks for that Carraway. I don't think I will ever be a great fan though, as you are right about the similarity to egg white which I don't like.

Definitely will try the roasted veg and halloumi though. :hungry:

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I wouldn't get over excited about it (it's not cauliflower, after all ;) )

Hehehe cauli rocks!
I made cauliflower couscous for the first time last week and have had it every day since :oops:

Cauli blitzed in the food processor until it looks like couscous
Put in a big pan with some olive oil or whatever and add
Ras el hanout (2 tsp of powdered)
Lemon juice
Spring onions
Cherry tomatoes
Sun dried tomatoes
Feta (optional)
Cashews
Or anything you fancy

It is addictive!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

What do you do to tofu Carraway to make it edible? I eat and love all the above mentioned foods but tofu is the one thing I can't stand despite trying different cooking methods.
Hi tufu is great cooked with a little garlic turmeric and coconut milk, with some lovely greens cooked the say way :) yummie...

A

Avocado Sevenfold

When I did slimming world a few years back, people were mad for tofu chocolate pudding. I think it was silken tofu, cocoa powder and sweetener. Not tried it myself.