Vegetarians and Low Carb vegetables

A

AnnieC

All of my adult life I have loved all vegetables and fruit for me vegetables make the meal and there are none I don't like so they have always made up the biggest part of my meal, meat doesn't really bother me so I mostly only eat chicken anyway.
Could some vegetarians and vegans here tell me how you cope if you have a low carb diet as vegetables and fruit along with grains and legumes must be the biggest part of your food. I could easily give up meat but what would I eat I know a lot of low carbers only have the leafy green stuff but I could not imagine just having that all my main meals contain at least three or four different vegetables.
I have recently been diagnosed with early dry macular degeneration in my eyes, there is no treatment for it but they recommended having a good diet with plenty of all colours of fruits and vegetables, dark green leafy are very good but not enough, vegetables and fruit all contain different vitamins and minerals many of which are most important for eye health so that is what I have to think about

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not veggie, but I'll start the ball rolling with:

Eggs
Cheese
Fish
Nuts
Tofu

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
All of my adult life I have loved all vegetables and fruit for me vegetables make the meal and there are none I don't like so they have always made up the biggest part of my meal, meat doesn't really bother me so I mostly only eat chicken anyway.
Could some vegetarians and vegans here tell me how you cope if you have a low carb diet as vegetables and fruit along with grains and legumes must be the biggest part of your food. I could easily give up meat but what would I eat I know a lot of low carbers only have the leafy green stuff but I could not imagine just having that all my main meals contain at least three or four different vegetables.
I have recently been diagnosed with early dry macular degeneration in my eyes, there is no treatment for it but they recommended having a good diet with plenty of all colours of fruits and vegetables, dark green leafy are very good but not enough, vegetables and fruit all contain different vitamins and minerals many of which are most important for eye health so that is what I have to think about
Hi I'm a vegetarian/was borderline vegan(if only I could cut out the eggs.) I was diagnosed with T2 just before Christmas which made life difficult and my BG was 15. I eat Burgen Bread, Ryvita, cheese(not a lot). I find the darkest red peppers there are and eat them like fruit but only a 1/4 of it. I am not a fruit eater really although I like good quality black grapes. I make lentil shepherds pie and quorn casseroles with 5 small new potatoes and veggies. Quorn is the greatest for replacing meat meals. Sainsbury's has the largest range of it. I have now gone to eating tuna and salmon and other fish because I was missing some nutrients.I think someone said eat everything above ground but miss out below ground which in a veggie's life would make it difficult. Rose Elliott has some fantastic veggie low carb/low glycaemic cookery books - she has been my heroine for years! My BG has now gone down to 9 so I am fairly happy. Oh Rose Elliots' book 'The Low-Carb diet' includes information and meals for diabetics too. It is my food bible.

mikecambrai

Hi, I have been type 2 for 20 + years and have tried many diets. As you get older you really do not need large quantities of food, so the first thing is to reduce portion sizes by using a smaller plate. Have a meal of soup once a day - there are some fantastic soups out there. Easy to make and always add a little cream. Soups have become one of my favourite meals. Avoid cakes but a little treat once a day is a good thing but make sure that it is a little treat. Perhaps share a cake with a friend?
When we go out to lunch we have just the starter portion which is small and usually very tasty.
Keep your hb1c at below 7 (or 50 in EU units). This is the key to long term success in controlling any unwanted symptoms.
Go for a walk a day to burn off any excess calories and maintain mobility in your muscles.
Your intake of food should match your outgoings in terms of energy expended. Monitor your weight to ensure that you have achieved this balance
The NEW 365 cookbook contains some really good meals. Does anyone know if we can purchase a hard copy from a bookshop?

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I eat vegetables that grow above ground level. As you know, Annie, people tolerate different veg differently, so best eat to your meter. Same with fruit. If you feel you are lacking in vitamins for eye health, perhaps a supplement would help without affecting your bg levels.

Aside from veg and fruit, I eat nuts, seeds, quorn, legumes, eggs, cheese, cream, greek yogurt, coconut oil, olive oil, rapeseed oil, tvp, tofu...lots of stuff. Never bored and have good bg levels.

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

Yes
I eat vegetables that grow above ground level. As you know, Annie, people tolerate different veg differently, so best eat to your meter. Same with fruit. If you feel you are lacking in vitamins for eye health, perhaps a supplement would help without affecting your bg levels.

Aside from veg and fruit, I eat nuts, seeds, quorn, legumes, eggs, cheese, cream, greek yogurt, coconut oil, olive oil, rapeseed oil, tvp, tofu...lots of stuff. Never bored and have good bg levels.

I do take a good multi vitamin supplement. If I did give up meat altogether I would probably still eat fish I love salmon and fresh tuna also fish like sea bass I do have Quorn often use the mince for cottage pie with a sweet potato and celariac topping and sometimes tofu but have not yet found a really good way of cooking tofu. Which legumes do you eat that are low carb

A

AnnieC

Hi I'm a vegetarian/was borderline vegan(if only I could cut out the eggs.) I was diagnosed with T2 just before Christmas which made life difficult and my BG was 15. I eat Burgen Bread, Ryvita, cheese(not a lot). I find the darkest red peppers there are and eat them like fruit but only a 1/4 of it. I am not a fruit eater really although I like good quality black grapes. I make lentil shepherds pie and quorn casseroles with 5 small new potatoes and veggies. Quorn is the greatest for replacing meat meals. Sainsbury's has the largest range of it. I have now gone to eating tuna and salmon and other fish because I was missing some nutrients.I think someone said eat everything above ground but miss out below ground which in a veggie's life would make it difficult. Rose Elliott has some fantastic veggie low carb/low glycaemic cookery books - she has been my heroine for years! My BG has now gone down to 9 so I am fairly happy. Oh Rose Elliots' book 'The Low-Carb diet' includes information and meals for diabetics too. It is my food bible.
My trouble is I love all root veg it's really hard not to eat them so I still have small portions of them

A

AnnieC

Hi, I have been type 2 for 20 + years and have tried many diets. As you get older you really do not need large quantities of food, so the first thing is to reduce portion sizes by using a smaller plate. Have a meal of soup once a day - there are some fantastic soups out there. Easy to make and always add a little cream. Soups have become one of my favourite meals. Avoid cakes but a little treat once a day is a good thing but make sure that it is a little treat. Perhaps share a cake with a friend?
When we go out to lunch we have just the starter portion which is small and usually very tasty.
Keep your hb1c at below 7 (or 50 in EU units). This is the key to long term success in controlling any unwanted symptoms.
Go for a walk a day to burn off any excess calories and maintain mobility in your muscles.
Your intake of food should match your outgoings in terms of energy expended. Monitor your weight to ensure that you have achieved this balance
The NEW 365 cookbook contains some really good meals. Does anyone know if we can purchase a hard copy from a bookshop?
I love to make soups to they are lovely for winter months. I never eat cakes never did have much of a sweet tooth and never been overweight I am steady at around 8st 7lb my walk every day is taking the dog out.

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think it is pecatarians that eat fish
Pescetarians which I have become after being diagnosed T2 @ Christmas just gone. I now eat Tuna and salmon etc. I too love root veg but I will eat smaller portions although I could eat a plate of buttered savoy cabbage in one sitting!:greedy: I take a multi vit B and also some Omega3,6,9. I go to the gym 3 tiimes a week and am thinking of doing the swimfit but am having to buy a cozzy as my old one is too big now I'm shrinking on this LC diet.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Which legumes do you eat that are low carb

None of them are particularly low carb. I eat them in moderation, never purée them, eat them with fat and test test test. This evening, for example I had ratatouille with a few kidney beans mixed in plus cauliflower cheese (flourless sauce)

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
None of them are particularly low carb. I eat them in moderation, never purée them, eat them with fat and test test test. This evening, for example I had ratatouille with a few kidney beans mixed in plus cauliflower cheese (flourless sauce)
Urgh!! Cauliflower cheese and ratatouille. Does it taste nice?

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Duh!I should have made the connection shouldn't I? I bet it is much nicer without the pasta.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @AnnieC There are many foods that contain Omega 3 , Ground linseed/flaxseed, ( you can add to add kinds of meals.)
Avocado, ( watch out for ones that are reduced in price,yellow label which are a good deal )
Nuts, say no more.
Veg & fruit, ( meter knows best )
Personally, if you like fish etc; I would continue as your eyes need the best treatment they deserve.
best of luck.:)

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes

I do take a good multi vitamin supplement. If I did give up meat altogether I would probably still eat fish I love salmon and fresh tuna also fish like sea bass I do have Quorn often use the mince for cottage pie with a sweet potato and celariac topping and sometimes tofu but have not yet found a really good way of cooking tofu. Which legumes do you eat that are low carb
Re: the Tofu - Taifun do some lovely blocks of flavoured ones: almond, olive, basil - varying from 1-3G cho per whole block. Lush in salads & don't have to cook. Waitrose sell them as do some small deli shops.