1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Enclave, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

@Antje77 It would work, I did my best to duplicate a vegan soup I had had at a deli here. So it was amount of stuff added as I went. But I had remembered the ingredients they listed. Which was Carrots, cashews, garlic, ginger and olive oil. And water had to be in it of course. My recipe had a lot less carrots than the one you listed. This one is a pale orange with a bare hint of garlic and ginger. It is blended to make it very creamy. I've had carrot soup before, what had struck me about this one is you don't really taste any of the specific flavors strongly? A slight hint of flavor of everything. A large bowl was eaten within minutes it went down so easily! Soak the cashews overnight and then blend for the really creamy thicker texture.I sprinkle parsley on almost everything I eat cooked, but it comes to mind chives would also be good.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks @Marie 2 !
    I think this will make a lovely soup for hot days, when I don't really feel like eating much.
    Do you roast the cashews or soak them raw and use them as they are?

3. Marie 2

@Antje77 Soak and use "raw", There is a vegan website, It doesn't taste like chicken. She always is soaking cashews to make things, although you can just blend them, she has said it will make things creamier with them soaked. I don't think she has ever used roasted cashews, not sure? Roasted cashews taste a little different, but maybe they don't soak and soften as much? Instead of letting them soak overnight you can boil them for about 10-20 minutes to soften them. I've not tried to ever do roasted. I actually don't puree them that much as if I can use something like soymilk or vegan cream cheese etc I will because it's easier? But this had such a delightful flavor and I think I got pretty close to it.

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/

EDIT You don't really use "raw"cashews, they have a toxin and they have to be roasted or boiled. So "raw" are usually boiled some. But they only sell them cooked. Boiled very slightly or roasted? At least as far as I know:).

• Informative Informative x 1
    #2103 Marie 2, Jun 24, 2021 at 10:58 PM
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  4. Marie 2

Tofurky with grilled shitake mushrooms and mango turnover.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook