Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48110704

Moderator Edit:
This thread started off in the Vegetarian section of the forum, but it became derailed by comments about meat eating that were inappropriate. These have been deleted, and the discussion is now on the production of meat substitutes and the businesses involved.
Consequently, the thread has now been moved to the General Chat section of the forum since it is not about diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Really glad you're posting again @Oldvatr - good to know you're on the road to recovery :)

I read that article yesterday. I wouldn't eat one if they paid me! It looks like a total gross-out and the principle revolts me. "Eat this because it looks and tastes like meat" - whose ghastly idea was that? I'm vegan because I really, really don't want to eat animal flesh and I'd very much like my food not to remind me of flesh.

I do like burgers - well, I guess soon we'll have to call them vegetable discs(!) I love the lentil, edamame and butterbean ones we get or there's a totally yummy jackfruit one in BBQ sauce that I absolutely love. We have that one with home made burger buns, lots of salad and I either make or use a bought relish. I add vegan mayo too because I'm decadent. It gets very messy to eat :joyful:

M

Member496333

I doubt very much that the burger floats. Probably glows in the dark :hungover:

What could possibly go wrong in adding yet more man-made concoctions into the human food supply? Answers on a postcard :shifty:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Beyond Meat is counting on 'meat eaters as well as vegetarians and vegans' but is still running at a loss.
Why would I buy something (let alone invest in something) that pretends to be meat when I can have real meat? I used to enjoy vegiburgers made from real vegetables but this fashion for Fake Foods leaves me cold.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd be very much up for eating slaughter free meat if and when it comes on the market. I love meat but don't love our treatment of food animals. Yes, I am a hypocrite, I own that.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting that the floatation comes at the same time as EAT Lancet et al...
Are they trying to cash in for a quick buck before the whole edifice collapses?
I certainly would never consume one and neither would @WuTwo our resident vegan expert so who are they meant to be for.

Reactions: Caeseji

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People who like meat, but pretend to be Vegan because it’s “fashionable” ???
Or try to be vegan (edit: even though they like meat) because they find it morally preferable.

Edit: that looks harsher than I meant it to! I meant I have respect for vegans, especially if they're vegan for ethical reasons, and feel uncomfortable mocking even those who want to be "right on" or fashionable.

Last edited:
Reactions: WuTwo

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anybody know what ingredients are in it?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google beyond meat burger ingredients - looks like a few things in them that might be best avoided but I'm not very "pure" in my eating yet. Might take one for the team and try them!

M

Member496333

Does anybody know what ingredients are in it?

A cursory browse of their website didn’t appear to be too forthcoming in revealing the ingredients. I know for a fact that I will never buy one.

M

Member496333

Just found this elsewhere;

Water, pear protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, contains 2% or less of the following: cellulose from bamboo, methylcellulose, potato starch, natural flavor, maltodextrin, yeast extract, salt, sunflower oil, vegetable glycerin, dried yeast, gum arabic, citrus extract (to protect quality), ascorbic acid, succinic acid, modified food starch, annatto (for color)

Probably ok if you intend to use it for undersealing a car.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just fond this elsewhere;

Water, pear protein isolate, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, contains 2% or less of the following: cellulose from bamboo, methylcellulose, potato starch, natural flavor, maltodextrin, yeast extract, salt, sunflower oil, vegetable glycerin, dried yeast, gum arabic, citrus extract (to protect quality), ascorbic acid, succinic acid, modified food starch, annatto (for color)

Is it pea protein rather than pear?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Is it pea protein rather than pear?

Whatever it is there seems to be just one natural product in it (coconut oil). All the other ingredients are highly processed or man made. Tasty!

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whatever it is there seems to be just one natural product in it (coconut oil). All the other ingredients are highly processed or man made. Tasty!
Yes - not defending the rubbish in any way.

Reactions: Guzzler
M

Member496333

Even the coconut oil is refined. Fairly sure I could have made one of these from the chemistry set I got for my tenth birthday :shifty:

Hotpepper20000

Just found this elsewhere;

:***:

Hotpepper20000

I have a lot of respect for those who chose to be vegan/vegetarian for moral reasons.
However anyone who tries to tell me this this is healthier then a meat burger needs to see the ingredient list.